• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Speed verses RPM

Venomous

I have 113 miles on my Attak. It is stock except for a clutch kit from Ulmer racing. The tips are set up with three washers and 1 tungsten opposite each other near the heel. All other spots are empty. I also changed the primary spring (color escapes my memory but it had two orange dashes and I can't remember the third color) and secondary spring (pink to white). The secondary spring is set at 3 on the secondary and 6 on the helix.

At 6000 RPM I get about 35 MPH and at 8000 RPM I get 65 - 70 MPH. I'm following the Yamaha break in procedure and have not run past 8000 RPM.

I want to know what speed others are getting verses their RPM and what set ups are being run to maximize the performance.

you want to run it over 8000 rpms for short burst during your break-in, and i cant remeber my exact speeds at those rpms..

There are so many variables in a Continuously variable tranmission system (CVT) this will be very inaccurate but - I agree interesting. Drag / resistance sled is experiencing will change rpm v speed on the same sled on the sme day. Ie hard pull ^ rpms per given speed.

I am sorry if you knew this already, no offense intended ,to much tilme on my hands today.

Yamadoo

Honestly, i ran mine right from the get go just like i am going to ride it. The important part of breakin is to vary the throttle position, and under most riding conditions that is exactly what you do. I would just go ride, as long as your not doing 1 mile runs across the lake for the first couple hundred miles your fine. And for what its worth, with my stock GT, i have already beat another "clutched" GT.

Read the manual it says not to do anything that would cause overheating conditions and not to run it at prolonged rpm's over 6000 for the first 100 miles and 8000 till 300 miles IT SAY'S NOYHING ABOUT NOT GOING OVER 6000 OR 8000 FOR SHORT TIMES...Ride it, run it, just don't hold it to the bars for a long period of time that might cause it to overheat...Read your manual not what your friend said,Not what you read here ,Not what your dealer or salesman told you...Just read your manual and understand what it says...Don't read between the lines or guess what they mean...They spent alot of money writing down exzactly what they want just follow that and yu will be fine

I have a CPR kit and on medium hard pack i would be 7500 to 8000 at 70 MPH but yes condition's will make a BIG!!! variable in RPM at the same speed. kviper

8000 rpm and only 40 mph the other week....

but I forgot to mention the snow was 3' deep!

:D :moon: ;)!

Thank you for the feedback. I completely understand that deep snow verses hard pack will make a difference. I should have mentioned the trail conditions in my original post. The trail was a combination of hard pack with some fresh snow approximately 2-3 over the top. Very nice dressing to keep the hyfax well lubricated.

The main reason for the question is that I also own a 2004 Ski-Doo 800 HO and at 8000 RPM that thing is topped out around 105 -110 (speedo reading only). That got me thinking about what the Attak speed verses RPM in the same trail conditions would be. I have never owned a four stroke so everything about them is a new experience.

I'm glad I made the switch to the four stroke but as long as I'm riding I don't care if it's two or four.

Anyone else??

:rocks:

You can't compare the Rev to your Attak engine rpm versus speed because they have two completely different power curves. That Rev makes peak power at 8000 rpm and that's where you want it to run at top speed. The Attak runs a full 2500 rpm faster to make peak HP.

At 6k I usually get between 35-45 miles per hour depending if I'm slowing down from going faster or speeding up.

Concerning the break-in, ride it around like the manual says, but don't be afraid to punch it. I've been up to 95mph on the speedo and have been over 6k and even 8k rpms. Currently, I have about 130 miles on it and it sounds and feels great.

As for break-in, I am being less anal about it this time. I've put 74 miles on mine so far and I gunned it for a couple of seconds with the odometer still reading 00000. (it was fully warmed up, though). On my initial ride, the throttle position was all over the place because where I rode there's not a lot of places to run constantly for long. I would accelerate at 7000 rpm for a few secs., then drop it back down to 6500 rpm, then down below 6000, then back up a little, etc. Opened it up 2 or 3 times, no more than 4 or 5 secs. each time.

I did get the temp. light to turn on when I let it idle too long. I shut it off and when I restarted, the light was off.

Back