• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

speedo inop

leepster

Extreme
Just got the sled ready for winter, took it for a test ride and found the speedo is not working, it just says 0 mph, everything else seems to be working fine, any ideas?

Did you disturb the wiring on the speed sensor below the secondary clutch ? Did you unlug the speedo head ?did you check fuses? do you have a worn out driveshaft bearings? abad speed sensor ? these are all possible culprits

the speedo head was unplugged, the wife rolled the sled at the end of last year, I just repaired it and put it back together. does unplugging the speedo head make it not work anfter it is plugged back in?

Speedo?

The Speedo still doesnt work since you have plugged it back in or the roll over? I would double check the plug ins and fuses if that doesnt work try hooking it up to another apex to eliminate that possibility The speed sensor wasnt damaged was it?

i had my 03 rx speedo go dead found the wires rubbed through in the nose by the tool box the harness was rubbing on the brackett for reinforcing the bumper

ok, checked things over a little better, the speedo lights up, it just reads ) mph all the time. checked all the fuses, ok. checked the plug, tight all pins ok. checked the sensor and the sensor looks like it is chewed up on the end, like it was rubbing the speed gear, anyone ever have that happen, I checked for play in the jack shaft, did not fell any play in the bearing at all.

leepster said:
checked the sensor and the sensor looks like it is chewed up on the end, like it was rubbing the speed gear, anyone ever have that happen, I checked for play in the jack shaft, did not fell any play in the bearing at all.

Your SPEEDO bearing is SHOT, time to change it, you have track tension on that shaft you won't feel any play untill you back your track tension off, when is the last time you grease it? or at all, how many miles on the sled, that bearing should be greased or re-packed at least once a year, if your a high milage sledder, more often...not that big of a job...but I hope for you that your SPEEDO SENSOR is still good. :o|

Here's a link for the BEARING you need, 3rd down on the left of page 175...
http://www.royaldistributing.com/main/i ... Number=175

Here's a link showing pics on what and how to repack SPEEDO and JACKSHAFT bearings...
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... 899639b8cd

yep, speedo bearing wasted, and of course it wont come off the driveshaft so I started pulling everything apart to get the shaft out, I cant get the shaft past the skid, so I guess I have to pull the skid also, :o| :o|

Did you lossen the set screws on the inside collar of the bearing? Just a sugestion, as I have been burnt by simple stuff like that before. If you still cant get it off you will have to pull chaincase apart and drop the skid to get driveshaft out.

leepster said:
I cant get the shaft past the skid, so I guess I have to pull the skid also, :o| :o|

I'm sorry to imform you that if you want to pull the SHAFT out you have to remove the chaincase completely, chain, gears and casing...you should be able to pull the bearing off with HEAT, heat it up with a set of good torch's and it should slip off, as mentioned above LOOSEN the 2 set screws on the inside collar, and once you get the bearing off make sure to sand all the rust off the end of the shaft and when you re-assemble use ANTISEIZE...it should be pulled off every year so it doesn't happen again!

Back