• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Squeeky, stiff steering developing, anyone else?

Thatspec

Extreme
Website
www.cascadeskilodge.org
I've read about this happening on the Apex, but nothing on the RX1. My steering is getting progressively more difficult to turn, and squeeks. Is the steering column in direct contact with what appear to be some kind of hard rubber bushings? Could it be the 8" lever (riser) I installed on top of it?

Before I start tearing into it, anybody else fix this with a can of Tri-flow?

Mark, mine does the same thing and I just get after everything with the WD-40 in the steering. Don't know? You have that new skid in yet?

Aaron

it need lube, put some grease on every ball joint and in the plastic bushing that hold the steering post. Those ball joint are between motor and gas tank.

WD-40 is to dry, you need something that will stay in place more than few hour (wd-40)

Grease is best thing to do. When i check mine all ball joint was dry and rusty. and no trace of grease left in the plastic bushing.

Good luck, take an hour to do. But worth it

the bushing above the chaincase along the side of delta frame seems to be the worst...i squirted white lithium grease into the back end of it through a finger sized opening and worked it free. The outer tie rods were doing all the squeaking. I lubed everyting in the steering with this spray grease.

Short of removing the gas tank, I see no way to get at those plastic bushings with grease. This is where my squeeking seems to be comming from. Maybe the spray grease, that is a good idea for those hard to reach ball joints. I am a bit concerned that lubes may deteriorate the bushing, will look in the manual to see if they spec that as a grease point. There seems to be another plastic bushing up front, top right. Going to try the Tri-flow spray, I need more spray and go solutions in my life. Those tie rod ends closest to the skis seem to need grease every other ride.

Aaron, that skid still sits in the corner (mocking me). Two days ago I got stuck four times within like 100', at least two of them were my fault, its like I forgot how to ride after all that digging. I'm figuring the skid/track are going to be a summertime project, and I'll actually appreciate the 151 this spring. Yesterday things were consolidating nicely, still deep enough to carve, but firm enough to go anywhere. Suspect we will be getting more, and more of these conditions now with just a handful of bottomless days left...

dont remove the tank, just pull it back a couple of inch, they are only 2 bolt. Grease wont attack the plastic.

Back