• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

POWER STEERING OBSERVATIONS

yellow rider

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
yamaha
I recently bought a 23 LTX LE and have about 500 miles before end of season. Previous sled was 17 LTX. The power steering takes a bit to get comfortable with because it makes the sled handle much different than without. It does work great but one thing I did notice is when going high speed like 70 mph + on a lake and are going into in a gentle curve the steering feels like it locks up and you have to wrestle the bars to make the turn. Anybody else experience this?

It does work great but one thing I did notice is when going high speed like 70 mph + on a lake and are going into in a gentle curve the steering feels like it locks up and you have to wrestle the bars to make the turn. Anybody else experience this?
No.
What skegs are you using? The shaper bars do seem to "lock " into the snow in most conditions on the four stroke chassis.
Make sure your tie rod boots aren't bunched up on the rods, this will make steering harder than normal.

I have stock skies,carbides and 6.9 pilots with snow trackers and it did the same. I agree the PS should be disengaged at those speeds. I have checked the rubber boots and sprayed them with silicone to let them slide freely so I don't believe that to be the problem. Done it from day 1, weird. Nobody else experienced this?

Have you ridden another PS equipped sidewinder for comparison?

I have stock skies,carbides and 6.9 pilots with snow trackers and it did the same. I agree the PS should be disengaged at those speeds. I have checked the rubber boots and sprayed them with silicone to let them slide freely so I don't believe that to be the problem. Done it from day 1, weird. Nobody else experienced this?
could be conditions?

Evaluate your suspension setup, if not dialed in to your riding style (weight, seating position, rider type, are you braking into the turn? Are you decelerating into the turn? ) will produce unfavourable results.
At lower speeds EPS conceals ski pressure considerably, you need to dial in a equilibrium for all conditions.

Last edited:
As stated this is not my first sidewinder and I am familar with setup and adjusted to my preference. All good points brought forward, just wondering if any others with PS had similar experiences.

the ps is sure different and requires some setting up , or possible different skis , or runners ,

2 power steering riot 9000's..............zero issues, steers normal at higher speeds with no binding or locking up of any sort.

Okay, good to know, thanks. I'll look deeper into it. Something must be binding yet the PS is strong enough to overcome it.

Check you upper steering post bushing is not too tight.

Screenshot_20230417-153510_Chrome.jpg

Items 2 and 3 are plastic bushings in the bell crank. Snow and moisture can get into this area and freeze. This will give the lock up feeling.
Need to drill and install a grease fitting between these two bushings and grease them.

Back