• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SRX vs LTX

earthling

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 SRX
2006 ATTAK
Looking at sidewinders, most of the used ones around here are XTX or BTX (do not understand this in southern ontario but...), a few LTX SE and even fewer LTX LE or GTs. I think I have narrowed it down to (2020+) the LTX SE (used) plus aftermarket shocks but I also see some reasonable-ish deals on SRXs now and then. My question is, for a mix of riding tight trails and wide open spaces (not so much lake running), how good is an SRX vs say an LTX SE or LTX GT. Would I wish I had bought the LTX vs the SRX? Concern is that the compromise to get to the lowered stance of the SRX has somehow impacted ride quality or small to mid size bumps (I do not look for big bumps/jumps anymore). I care more about carving a corner and blasting across the chatter that is so prevalent around here.

The ride height wouldn't bother me. The SRX should have better shocks. I have ridden T-cats with the same ride height and they ride very nicely.

The inch track on the SRX would be the biggest hurdle for me. It would have to go. I don't care what anyone says about studding and groomed trail on that inch track, they don't cut it for me. That and a new windshield for the SRX

The SRX's are soooooo good looking.

The ride height wouldn't bother me. The SRX should have better shocks. I have ridden T-cats with the same ride height and they ride very nicely.

The inch track on the SRX would be the biggest hurdle for me. It would have to go. I don't care what anyone says about studding and groomed trail on that inch track, they don't cut it for me. That and a new windshield for the SRX

The SRX's are soooooo good looking.

X2

Yes. That 1" track on an SRX would be the FIRST thing on the list to get changed.

The SRX is lower, and handles better, especially when adding big power, as it tracks straight when you get down to businress. If you don't ride big bumps, it is the better choice imo.

The 1 inch track in soft conditions can be a disadvantage tractionwise, but it is 7 mph faster than the 1.25 ripsaw. This is a fact!

7?! In what distance or are you just saying top speed?
Would it be faster say in 1250' or 1500' or 2000'

Thanks all for the feedback. How did they go about lowering the SRX? Is it purely shock length or is there some other changes. I guess the 1" track is the standout difference, and I assume going to a 1.3 or 1.5" track isn't going to run into problems? Like an ice storm for instance. I definitely would not enjoy a 1" track around here.

Hey earthling....Since I own both a '21 SRX and a '18 LTX-LE that my wife rides I thought that I'd chime in with some thoughts on both sleds.

The lowered ride height on the SRX is a very noticeable difference in a good way. The increased sag with the dual rate springs on the SRX makes for better cornering without loosing any travel. There is no compromise in the ride quality with the lowered ride height.

The IQS on the fly adjustable shock package on the SRX is a very useful feature. I love being able to adjust the shocks simply by pushing a switch on the left side bar as conditions change.

If you can find a used LTX model I would definitely try to find one with the best shock package available (Fox Kashima coated QS3R). These shocks offer the best ride and range of manual adjustments and IMO are the way to go.

I installed a 1.5" lug Ripsaw 2 track on the SRX from the get go. I don't run studs and had no interest in running the stock 1" lug track. We've got a 1.5" lug Storm 150 on my wife's LTX-LE and that is also an awesome track for trail riding.

I found an article from a few seasons ago from SnowTech magazine that offers one of their riders thoughts on a 2019 SRX that you might find helpful: https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/yamaha-sidewinder-srx-le/

Good luck on finding a new sled!

And lets not forget about the good looks of the SRX :)

1645471797617.png

Last edited:
Thanks all for the feedback. How did they go about lowering the SRX? Is it purely shock length or is there some other changes. I guess the 1" track is the standout difference, and I assume going to a 1.3 or 1.5" track isn't going to run into problems? Like an ice storm for instance. I definitely would not enjoy a 1" track around here.
The rear torsion springs are different on SRX models.

7?! In what distance or are you just saying top speed?
Would it be faster say in 1250' or 1500' or 2000'
I only tested top speed in 2500 feet run on groomed trail. I did not collect data for 1250, or 1500 feet, but if I were a gambling man, as long as there was traction, I would bet it would be faster at those shorter distances too, albeit much less of a gain of course.

My neighbor had a tuned 21 thundercat. He could only hit 130mph. He asked what he could do to gain more speed? I sold him an SRX track I had sitting in the attic. He put it on and hit 137, then mopped the floors with all the other tuned thunders.

Last edited:
The SRX is lower, and handles better, especially when adding big power, as it tracks straight when you get down to businress. If you don't ride big bumps, it is the better choice imo.

The 1 inch track in soft conditions can be a disadvantage tractionwise, but it is 7 mph faster than the 1.25 ripsaw. This is a fact!
Love those facts about why Yamaha chose that set up for its fastest stock sled ever!

My choice would certainly be the SRX with it’s smooth fast characteristics, and it’s great handling capabilities that are qualities of it’s lower stance and 1” lug track!

All depends what you ride where. I’m a smooth fast trail type with a mix of some air at high speeds! Fun factor x2!

I only tested top speed by in 2500 feet on groomed trail. I did not collect data for 1250, or 1500 feet, but if I were a gambling man, as long as there was traction, I would bet it would be faster at those shorter distances too, albeit but much less difference of course.

My neighbor had a tuned 21 thundercat. He could only hit 130mph. He asked what he could do to gain more speed? I sold him an SRX track I had sitting in the attic. He put it on and hit 137, then mopped the floors with all the other tuned thunders.
What gears are in this ?

Back