• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starting an RX-1 in close to -40°

I was in Jonquiere Quebec last winter during an especially cold snap. We pulled into the hotel, the thermoter read -42....yeehah. The next morning it warmed up to -35, and there was a guy on an RX1, that fired up no problem. I was very impressed, so much so, I bought one this year!

Almost RX-1 said:
I was just reading a few posts on RX-1's not starting well below -28°C.

Is this correct? Around here we get temperatures down to -40°C on occaision and I won't be impressed if it doesn't start.

Keep in mind that "C" mean Canadian temperature. :?

-28 - -40°C is about 0 or 2 below in real USA temperature. :tg:

At -40 C my sled would not start. It would roll over but not fire. My buddy runs a T-Cat which never starts in the cold. To circumvent this he pours two jugs of hot tap water over the engine and it fires up. Desparate I tried hot water over the engine. It fired right up. After that I installed a block heater. I would highly recommend one if you live in cold weather.

-40 C coverts to -40 F.

0 F is about -18C

Where can I get a block heater? What is the suggested one to get, does yamaha provide one at the dealers?

I live way up north in canada. I had no trouble starting my sled in temperatures below -35C. This year though, I have had no luck, I think I need to clean out my carbs and tune them in again. It's been about 4000 miles before I did anything to clean the carbs.

Eskimo

smaheatrclnt-500.jpg

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accessories ... etail.aspx

goldbergrx1 said:
at -40 would a motor actually run better???.....i can understand at 0 or -5 but would -40 be a little to much............im talking farenheight ...........just wondering

The colder it is the more dense the air; hense the more oxygen in it. As long as the motor is jetted rich enough and it is fully warmed up (able to fully warm up), the colder it is, the more power it makes.

These -40 temperatures is where synthetic oil shines through. It allows the engine to turn over faster thus creating compression better and spark will also be better. Batta bing batta bam it starts.

Almost RX-1 said:
goldbergrx1 said:
at -40 would a motor actually run better???.....i can understand at 0 or -5 but would -40 be a little to much............im talking farenheight ...........just wondering

The colder it is the more dense the air; hense the more oxygen in it. As long as the motor is jetted rich enough and it is fully warmed up (able to fully warm up), the colder it is, the more power it makes.

Very true cold air is heavier and dryer. Moisture does not burn so you will get a better burn the heavier atmospheric pressure actually gives you a slight free turbocharge thanks to mother nature.

I live in northern Labrador and it was like -55 C. it took about 4 seconds of turning over beftore it started which was not problem while other machines wouldn't start. so i thoght that was good.

battery and block heater

buy a battery heater and block heater from yamaha dealer problem solved under 100.00 bucks no more problems ever starts like its been running all day

Back in 03 I was in Northern Quebec during a cold snap of -40 to -55. My RX1 started in the morning at -55. It took a long time to warm up and it sounded rough. I was running Amsoil 0w40. The 2strokes had a much harder time getting started.

Back