• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stiff steering

Snowaddict

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX-LE
TWITTER
mstahl88
After seeing someone else mention this on another thread, I realize I might not be nuts. Last Fri. about 1/2 way through the ride my steering drastically stiffened up. I had missed a turn and went over a a small (maybe 2 feet high) bank of snow. I did not hit anything. After this I noticed the steering was tight as hell, esp. to the left. I had a buddy ride it to confirm it and he agreed it was tight. What is the deal? Any ideas? :(

Ice build-up. I've had this happen with mine. After riding in powder, sometimes I've had to grap the ski loops and give it a good yank to "break it loose" and get back my lock-to-lock steering.

Probably bent the spendle housing and or spindle. Does not take much of a hit. Undo tie rod ends off of housings and turn housing by hand. Should also check a-arms to see if they bent.

hope not

I did give a check of arms and other things to see if anything appeared bent. I did not see any such. I will try to ride it one more time (esp. since it's thawed out now) to see if it has loosened back up. I just wondered if this may be a common occurrence and what a quick fix would be.

No its the bushings in the vertical and horizontal shaft...I suspect by the squeaking going on when you turn very slow with engine off...lift the front completly off the ground then turn handle bars back and forth and you feel the friction...it keeps getting worst with milage...again no #$%@ ZERTS to be able to grease...why!!!

Mine siezed up tight on my 2005 RX-1 at around 4500 kms (2700 miles).

It got so bad I almost couldn't drive it.

It turned out to be the bushings in the horizontal steering shaft. The bushing right behind the chaincase was the main culprit.

During our Northern sledding trip I met several other high mileage 2005 RX-1 owners. Every one of them had been through the same problem.

Since the new bushings have been installed with grease I haven't had any problems.

Bushings like these that aren't exposed to the elements shouldn't really need greasing for the life of the sled - if only they were greased at the factory...

I would say spindle as well. Did one last year boondocking, got back on the trail, went to turn right, couldn't and sled ended up on top of me. Very difficult to get home to say the least.

Back