• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stock Mountain gearing?

Vincenthdfan

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex MTX
Hi everyone,
Im trying to figure out what stock Mountain gearing is inside the chaincase?

I see numerous options on the parts list, but it doesnt state what the original gearing is?

I have an opportunity to buy a reverse with 20/40 gearing, but want to ensure it wont drastically alter my sled.

I also see the optional reverse kit for my '06 Mountain is 18/40...would that be radically different than the 20/40?

Thanks!

stock gearing in my 07 apex mtn was 22/40 70 link chain. i went to the 20/40 gearing with 68link chain and like it alot...i dont know that i would ever need 18/40 gearing where i ride here in flat lands...

Not sure on stock gearing, but I am also at 20/40 with a 68 chain. I would love to have reverse, but the Boondockers turbo won't allow it.

not sure if this helps or not

Attachments

• Apex Clutch Chart.jpg
    Apex Clutch Chart.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 172
Stock Apex Mtns usually came from the factory setup for 10,000ft. Meaning gearing was 20/40 and the weights had empty inner and other 2 were 13.3 stl w hole. Personally I think 20/40 is plenty fast for an Apex Mtn. I've seen 96mph on the dreammeter with this setup and that's where it plain old just ran out of legs.

i bought mine used and it had the under 2500foot elevation set up in it. i changed the gearing to 20/40 68l but left everything else the same..

Wow...according to that chart and the elevation I ride at (3,200-5,500) I should be at 21 or 22 and 40.

Can you imagine if I bought Yamaha's 18/40 kit?

It seems as though its revving its guts out now when were gettin on it going down the logging roads now.

I have stock gearing, no reverse yet.

It sounds like 20/40 would be a good all around mix then huh?

I would agree, I just got to ride my Apex MTX for the first time last night... (I love the new sled smell) and it has the 20/40 gearing. I am coming of a GT where it was geared really high. I love the low end grunt and torque but still was able to cruise around 80 mph at 9k rpm. I love this MTX set up compared to the GT.

sledneck22 said:
I would agree, I just got to ride my Apex MTX for the first time last night... (I love the new sled smell) and it has the 20/40 gearing. I am coming of a GT where it was geared really high. I love the low end grunt and torque but still was able to cruise around 80 mph at 9k rpm. I love this MTX set up compared to the GT.

Thanks for the seat of the pants feedback...I just pulled the trigger and bought the reverse kit with the 20/40 gearing in it.

Its coming in the mail so I suppose I'll see soon how it works out...sounds like it'll work well.

:Rockon:

I might add that after riding the new sled a couple times... take some fuel with you lol. It sure sucks alot more gas than my GT using so much more power. Just an FYI. I am going to re clutch it for lower elevation and go from there.

Back