• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Studded tracks...Disallowed anywhere?

I was talking to my wife about the studs we are going to put in my new Attak. She asked me if I thought that was a good idea. I said why wouldn't it be? She said they are disallowed on the Heartland trail back home in Minnesota, because they tear up the tar on the trail. So it got me to thinkin, has anyone ever seen where studded tracks were frowned upon? Is there a certain ettiquette when riding with studs? I have never had a sled with them before so forgive me if these questions seem to be out of the norm. Thanks all.

Joe

The Heartland is nice because they have a non-paved trail that runs parallel to the paved trail in which ALL snowmobiles are supposed to ride on anyhow. The Paul Bunyan, however, is not set up the same way and does not allow studs. It is a pretty substantial fine if you are caught with them. It is a shame they are doing this for the bikers and rollerbladers, as they are not the ones boosting the local economy.

jwifferdill said:
The Heartland is nice because they have a non-paved trail that runs parallel to the paved trail in which ALL snowmobiles are supposed to ride on anyhow. The Paul Bunyan, however, is not set up the same way and does not allow studs. It is a pretty substantial fine if you are caught with them. It is a shame they are doing this for the bikers and rollerbladers, as they are not the ones boosting the local economy.

I'm from Park Rapids, moving down around the Twin cities in August. The trail you are referring to along the Heartland, us locals call the horse trail, full of sticks and fairly bumpy, it's pretty much a logging road from what I can remember, maybe they have improved it? My parents house is a stones throw from the trail opposite the river side. Good info to know about the Paul Bunyan. I might start rethinking Studs and maybe just go with a better track, not sure. Thanks

Joe

I have heard that about Minnesota, but I haven't heard about anywhere else. I know in Northern Wi., they have sections in the roads where the trails cross that are either a diferent surface, or are cut to facilitate easier replacement. You can tell they know what an economical impact snowmobiles have, and seem prepared to deal with it.
-Nate

I live in up-state New York and there’s a state park by me that doesn’t allow them. That’s not gonna stop me from getting them though . . . . Just paint them black . . LOL

Well, I did some reading on this subject today. It seems there are a lot of townships that really frown on studs as you can imagine. Minnesota even has a law that states that no studs are allowed on any of their asphalted rec roads. I know safety is a big issue with stud owners, but what about the damage that studs do to others property? Or does safety trump this issue 100% of the time? Those of you who stick to the woods and lakes I see no real issue, but what about those of us who traverse asphalt. Do you ever think about it, or drive a certain way when on these types of surfaces? Just looking for a little more feed back. Thanks all

Joe

Here is a snippet off of the Minnesota snowmobilers association page that explains Mn's rules

I have studs on my snowmobile and still want to enjoy Minnesota's snowmobile trails. How does the metal traction device (stud) law affect me?

Snowmobiles equipped with studs are welcome in Minnesota. However, you may not operate a snowmobile with metal traction devices on paved public trails, except when allowed by local government on trails under these jurisdictions or any portion of a paved state trail designated for such use by the commissioner.

A person operating a snowmobile with metal traction devices on any paved trail is guilty of a petty misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than $50 for the first offense, no more than $300 for the second offense, and no more than $600 for the third and subsequent offenses.

The law restricting metal studs on paved trails was passed in response to concern about damage to roads, bridge decks, paved trails and private driveways crossed by snowmobiles with studs. Public paved trails account for less than two percent of Minnesota's extensive snowmobile trail system. However, groomed, signed routes have been developed for snowmobiles with studs near many paved trails.

sobfrogg said:
Did Minnesota get rid of the pick permit. In past years they had one for people from out of state...

Yes, that only lasted a year or two. It was a really stupid idea and I'm glad they abolished it.

Northern Sledder said:
jwifferdill said:

I'm from Park Rapids, moving down around the Twin cities in August. The trail you are referring to along the Heartland, us locals call the horse trail, full of sticks and fairly bumpy, it's pretty much a logging road from what I can remember, maybe they have improved it? My parents house is a stones throw from the trail opposite the river side. Good info to know about the Paul Bunyan. I might start rethinking Studs and maybe just go with a better track, not sure. Thanks

Joe

The "horse trail" is the one that actually gets groomed now, so riding on it isn't bad at all.

Back