• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TD MAX17 question

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
TD has multiple tunes for Max17. Not Max spool.
2bar & 3bar versions. Both exceed appx 18+ psi
So my questions are this...
What is the difference and why would you want to upgrade to 3bar?
I understand the two bar map has its limitations.
Please keep in mind that TD sells these tunes and it will work either way.
So let's keep this fact based.
Yes, I called TD and the answer I got was vag, at best.
They told me if I am in the range of 17 PSI that I would be fine with the two bar map. Then I explained to them that I'm boosting up to 18.2 psi and then settling back down to 16.5 PSI. And she said, that's fine. Kinda odd....

Ty, Joe

Last edited:

And she said, that's fine. Kinda odd....
Its fine. And she is correct IMO. The tunes over boost slightly when you smash the bar. (when really cold out they over boost even more). Then SHOULD settle at a given PSI.. Been running MS17 on 2022 winder since day one and its been flawless. I watch AFR gauge like a hawk and on hard pulls its sits 11.7-11.8 AFR which is perfect IMO.. Its a little rich down low and idle but otherwise I have nothing bad to say.. As far as 2 bar and 3 bar I'm not qualified to answer.. I just know I have the 3 bar sensor!

From what I understand the tune will have more accurate tuning over 16psi with a 3 bar. 2 bar will be richer over 16psi. MS 16 sm with a 2 bar is 260hp. With the 3 bar it is closer to 270 As perTD. Maybe someone else can chime on this.

From what I understand the tune will have more accurate tuning over 16psi with a 3 bar. 2 bar will be richer over 16psi. MS 16 sm with a 2 bar is 260hp. With the 3 bar it is closer to 270 As perTD. Maybe someone else can chime on this.
That is my understanding as well.

Its fine. And she is correct IMO. The tunes over boost slightly when you smash the bar. (when really cold out they over boost even more). Then SHOULD settle at a given PSI.. Been running MS17 on 2022 winder since day one and its been flawless. I watch AFR gauge like a hawk and on hard pulls its sits 11.7-11.8 AFR which is perfect IMO.. Its a little rich down low and idle but otherwise I have nothing bad to say.. As far as 2 bar and 3 bar I'm not qualified to answer.. I just know I have the 3 bar sensor!
Well....there's some relief.
I understand this. Just wanted to rule things out as I press forward.

Please keep in mind that TD sells these tunes and it will work either way.7
They told me if I am in the range of 17 PSI that I would be fine with the two bar map. Then I explained to them that I'm boosting up to 18.2 psi and then settling back down to 16.5 PSI. And she said, that's fine. Kinda odd....

Ty, Joe

Please keep in mind that TD sells these tunes and it will work either way.

Ty, Joe
Two bar map sensor only reads up to 16.9 lbs of boost. Three bar reads up to 29 lbs of boost, and 4 bar above 29.

Max 17 makes 17lbs of boost so you are fine with 2bar sensor at 16.9. If you upgrade to MS17 or MS20, you will need 3 bar as these tunes boost over 17#.

Hope this helps.

Back