• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Studs, Carbids, What to Run?

mcamzr

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Well I'm on my second year with my Nytro and I think it is time to put some studs in. Here is what I am thinking with a quick backgroung as to why I'm thinking it. My last three sleds were a 01 ZR600 Built up with a 1.25 ripsaw no studs and C&A ADX with 9in Shaper bars, next a 04 Rev 800X lots of mods on that one with 1.25 Ripsaw and 96 studs down the middle and C&A Razor with the 9in Shaper bars. Now the Nytro Stock as for power with the 1.25 Ripsaw and the C&A Razor with the 9in Shaper bars. I ride trails in norhern Mi and the UP. I am thinking the same 96 in this one for the safty and bit of grap. I was real happy with the doo and never bent or lost a stud and that had way more hp than my nytro. My big fear with more than 96 is turning, as it is this sled is more to turn and I was thinking of droping to the 7.5 carbide up front but not to sure. So I guess I.m looking for imput from everyone that has way more seat time on the Nytro than I do. I'd hate to do the 144 and not turn but on the other hand only 96 and putting them through the exchanger dosent sound like much fun either. Thanks in advance for the help, Mike.

I run 144 down the middle with tud boy 9"shaper bars and I have no issues pushing through corners. I can still get the back end of the sled to get loose around the corners when I really hammer down. It's a perfect set up for the way I ride but i'm sure it would vary for different riding styles.

Perhaps a dumb question but do I have a single ply ripsaw track on my 09 nytro RTX?

Thanks, How long of a stud can I go? I see Studboy has 1.375 and woodys has a 1.325. is one brand better than the other? and am I correct in saying I can just put them in and go? (I have not taken out any protectors from the tunnel) Thanks again.

I have Woody's 1.325 but I know people run longer ones. I think 96 studs is a little on the light side. I think 144 is a pretty good set up.

I have 144 1.45 length studs. Hooks up like crazy!! Doesn't push in corners but it doesn't let the rear end slide around as easy without studs. All in all I'm happy with the traction and I'm running 6" carbides too.

What length stud should I run? And can I just put them in and go or do I need to add mor protectors?

mcamzr said:
What length stud should I run? And can I just put them in and go or do I need to add mor protectors?

I have read guys getting the shorter 1.3 studs then changing them out for the longer 1.45 studs. That is why I went for the longer ones. Personally I would go with the longer ones. Trust me you will not be disappointed with the hook up and performance.

Yes put them in and go, will need to keep track at proper tension and keep the studs tight also. No additional protectors needed.

I have Woodys 1.325 Mega Bites ( 144 down the middle ) and I will be going to 1.450 as traction is an issue...I just can't hook the sled...Studboy do make a 1.375 but I'm not sure they will be enough.

I just looked over my sled after my ride yesterday(first one this season) and found some stud marks rubbing on the heat exchanger and some on the header. I thought i had my track tight enough but was wrong. So I did 2 more turns to tighten it up more, that better fix the issue. I def. dont' want to take out the exchanger!!!

So remember when I said keep track at proper tension......if you do stud it with the longer studs make sure it's plenty tight or it's going to balloon on you. :o|

I'll keep that in mind. Right now with no studs I run the trace as loose as can. And I am for sure missing out, I just took my wife's old 97 ext 580 for a ride with the kids and it has studs and boy does it hook up. (I'm sure riding it as a 3up helps a bit lol). I think I'm leaning tward the 1.325 woodys, I'm a little scared if having to replace the exchanger since I read the sled was built around it.

mcamzr said:
I'll keep that in mind. Right now with no studs I run the trace as loose as can. And I am for sure missing out, I just took my wife's old 97 ext 580 for a ride with the kids and it has studs and boy does it hook up. (I'm sure riding it as a 3up helps a bit lol). I think I'm leaning tward the 1.325 woodys, I'm a little scared if having to replace the exchanger since I read the sled was built around it.

yeah I thought the same thing when I saw the marks on it. The weird thing is I have read of guys studding 1.5 tracks with longer studs then I have. How they don't hit anything is beyond me.....

Any reason I couldn't run studboy 1.325 stainless with woodys backers. Woodys has colored alum backers in round where as studboy's colored are plastis and I don't think I'm a fan of that.

Back