• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Summer storage?

Wash it, lube every zerk on sled, pushes lots of water out of shafts and bearings, use grease needle in PTO and Jackshaft bearings, change oil, drain most of the gas out and stabilize whats left in tank, spray EVERYTHING down with WD-40, wax hood/tank and polish tunnel, cover and store in garage at the cabin. Get the Mustang out of storage and put the top down, get the pontoon out and put in the water, drag fishing poles and beer to dock and wait for next season.
:yam: :4STroke: :rocks: :sled1:

I have quite the detailed summerize to do list. I store it in the shed over the summer:

Stabilize gas
Oil change
Chain case oil change
Fog engine
Plug exhaust
Wash and clean sled
Repack speedo bearing
Repack secondary clutch bearing
Polish aluminum and plastic
Touch up paint on frame
Remove battery, charge it and store in the basement for the summer
Grease all the zerks in the skid
Remove belt for the summer
Clean and dry belt
Clean airbox foam
Clean clutches (compressed air and simply green)
Grease front shocks bushings
Grease rear shocks bushings
Grease ski spindles/collars
Store with front and rear suspension off the ground
Remove seat and store in basement

Cubby you'd be the perfect person to buy a used sled from! I plan on storing my vector in my enclosed and have yet to have issues doing that with other sleds (except 1 bee nest in the trailer and they got me good last fall!) but I have no idea what to do with the battery as the trailer is far away from any power while it is stored...thinking of driving it up backwards and taking the battery out? Anyone do this on a tilt bed enclosed trailer?

davessrx said:
..thinking of driving it up backwards....
I wish I was going to be there to see this! :drink: LaLaLa

davessrx said:
Cubby you'd be the perfect person to buy a used sled from! I plan on storing my vector in my enclosed and have yet to have issues doing that with other sleds (except 1 bee nest in the trailer and they got me good last fall!) but I have no idea what to do with the battery as the trailer is far away from any power while it is stored...thinking of driving it up backwards and taking the battery out? Anyone do this on a tilt bed enclosed trailer?

Thanks - I enjoy working on the sled almost as much as riding it! Same is true with all my stuff.

I would love to have an enclosed trailer but even used ones are pretty expensive up here (Canada). At least 2x the price in the US. I could store the sled and snowblower in there!

Irv said:
I store my XLT in my enclosed trailer stored inside a bldg, never had a problem, just wish I could some how raise it while it sits on the trailer.

My Vector gets stored in my garage on my lift, and like my XLT, I spray a lot of the sled down with a good lube/protectant like Rust Check, Krown or what ever I have on hand that is silicone oil based.

I spray the suspension, spray shock shafts, exhaust pipe, and most exposed metals on the XLT including a light spray of the entire motor, carb boots, basically everything but the clutches.

My Vec gets the suspension, and all exposed metal as well, except the engine and a few other things that I am not concerned about with it sitting in the garage.

Each sled gets a thorough washing and wax. I spray the suspension/tunnel down with a garden hose to remove any salt and sand that accumulated over the winter, dress the seat with 303 etc etc, put covers on both after completed and dry then basically forget about them until the fall.

P.S. I also do an oil/filter change prior to storage and run some Sea Foam through both sleds.
I also fog both machines.
Your XLT looks brand new! Had to ride one just like that (even as clean) after blowing up my Doo years ago. Fun sled but makes my RX1 seem like a Caddy.

davessrx said:

have you thought about putting a solar panel on it? how i store my bikes and sleds in the off season. had on on a truck on my lawn for 8 years and the batteries where stil good when my dad sold it.

Cubby said:
I have quite the detailed summerize to do list. I store it in the shed over the summer:

Stabilize gas
Oil change
Chain case oil change
Fog engine
Plug exhaust
Wash and clean sled
Repack speedo bearing
Touch up paint on frame
Clean and dry belt
Clean airbox foam

Cuddy, for the clutches do you just spray the simply green on them and blow them out or do you soak them in it and rinse them off after.

When you guys are spraying your sleds down with fluid film, wd 40 and other similar stuff are you spraying the engine and everything else under the hood?

Fourcam281 said:
Irv said:
I store my XLT in my enclosed trailer stored inside a bldg, never had a problem, just wish I could some how raise it while it sits on the trailer.

My Vector gets stored in my garage on my lift, and like my XLT, I spray a lot of the sled down with a good lube/protectant like Rust Check, Krown or what ever I have on hand that is silicone oil based.

I spray the suspension, spray shock shafts, exhaust pipe, and most exposed metals on the XLT including a light spray of the entire motor, carb boots, basically everything but the clutches.

My Vec gets the suspension, and all exposed metal as well, except the engine and a few other things that I am not concerned about with it sitting in the garage.

Each sled gets a thorough washing and wax. I spray the suspension/tunnel down with a garden hose to remove any salt and sand that accumulated over the winter, dress the seat with 303 etc etc, put covers on both after completed and dry then basically forget about them until the fall.

P.S. I also do an oil/filter change prior to storage and run some Sea Foam through both sleds.
I also fog both machines.
Your XLT looks brand new! Had to ride one just like that (even as clean) after blowing up my Doo years ago. Fun sled but makes my RX1 seem like a Caddy.

Thanks Fourcam.

Surprisingly, I still think the ole 95 XLT with Xtra 12 rides pretty good. In all honesty, when I purchased my 08 Vector, I expected it to be leaps and bounds better, but sadly it wasn't. :o|

stomper said:
Cubby said:

Stabilize gas
Oil change
Chain case oil change
Fog engine
Plug exhaust
Wash and clean sled
Repack speedo bearing
Touch up paint on frame
Clean and dry belt
Clean airbox foam

Cuddy, for the clutches do you just spray the simply green on them and blow them out or do you soak them in it and rinse them off after.

When you guys are spraying your sleds down with fluid film, wd 40 and other similar stuff are you spraying the engine and everything else under the hood?
Like I mentioned earlier, I don't spray my Vec down as it sits in my garage, but if I were storing it in a trailer, then in all likely hood I would, at least in the places where I thought it was safe to do so.

Also, not a big fan of WD-40, it is better than nothing mind you, but it does not last, nor contain silicone. I prefer Rust Check or Krown but if not available, I'd use some other type of Penetrating oil like LPS-2 or 3. Fluid Film on the suspension, but not on the motor imo.

Would Liquid Wrench lubricating oil count as a product you should use spray down metal parts? I don't think its a silicon based product.

When I clean the clutches I just use a scrubbing sponge with hot water and simply green and then compressed air to dry everything off. I don't soak them.

I did spray everything with fluid film the first year but since its in my shed all summer I stopped doing it. There is no moisture in the shed and I have vents to get the air moving. Never had a problem with rust on the sled.

TRiGGeR605 said:
Would Liquid Wrench lubricating oil count as a product you should use spray down metal parts? I don't think its a silicon based product.

Not really familiar with Liquid Wrench, but since it is oil based, I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

The best products imo, are Rust check or Krown undercoating sprays as that is what they are designed for.

Just not sure of availability State side though?

Back