• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Summer storage?

stomper said:
Cubby said:
I have quite the detailed summerize to do list. I store it in the shed over the summer:

Stabilize gas
Oil change
Chain case oil change
Fog engine
Plug exhaust
Wash and clean sled
Repack speedo bearing
Repack secondary clutch bearing
Polish aluminum and plastic
Touch up paint on frame
Remove battery, charge it and store in the basement for the summer
Grease all the zerks in the skid
Remove belt for the summer
Clean and dry belt
Clean airbox foam
Clean clutches (compressed air and simply green)
Grease front shocks bushings
Grease rear shocks bushings
Grease ski spindles/collars
Store with front and rear suspension off the ground
Remove seat and store in basement

Cuddy, for the clutches do you just spray the simply green on them and blow them out or do you soak them in it and rinse them off after.

When you guys are spraying your sleds down with fluid film, wd 40 and other similar stuff are you spraying the engine and everything else under the hood?
I have been using WD-40 for 40 years on my sleds without a problem. I spray everything but the hood/tank/exterior of the tunnel. I even spray clutches and then wash them in the fall and go over them with a scothbrite pad when dry to clean them. Here is a underhood shot of my wifes old Venture after 9 years, I dont have any RX underhood shots currently and sleds up north, as you can see it still looks like new.
:yam: :4STroke: :rocks: :sled1:

Attachments

• Venture.jpg
    Venture.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 115

03RX1-ER-LE said:
stomper said:
Cubby said:
I have quite the detailed summerize to do list. I store it in the shed over the summer:

Stabilize gas
Oil change
Chain case oil change
Fog engine
Plug exhaust
Wash and clean sled
Repack speedo bearing
Repack secondary clutch bearing
Polish aluminum and plastic
Touch up paint on frame
Remove battery, charge it and store in the basement for the summer
Grease all the zerks in the skid
Remove belt for the summer
Clean and dry belt
Clean airbox foam
Clean clutches (compressed air and simply green)
Grease front shocks bushings
Grease rear shocks bushings
Grease ski spindles/collars
Store with front and rear suspension off the ground
Remove seat and store in basement

Cuddy, for the clutches do you just spray the simply green on them and blow them out or do you soak them in it and rinse them off after.

When you guys are spraying your sleds down with fluid film, wd 40 and other similar stuff are you spraying the engine and everything else under the hood?
I have been using WD-40 for 40 years on my sleds without a problem. I spray everything but the hood/tank/exterior of the tunnel. I even spray clutches and then wash them in the fall and go over them with a scothbrite pad when dry to clean them. Here is a underhood shot of my wifes old Venture after 9 years, I dont have any RX underhood shots currently and sleds up north, as you can see it still looks like new.
:yam: :4STroke: :rocks: :sled1:

Are your sleds stored indoors or outdoors during the off season? From my experience, the WD-40 didn't last long at all on anything that was stored outdoors.

I start my machine 2-3 times a month since the very first day i brought it home 8yrs ago ! and this is one reason why my sled runs soooo dang good!

Its never just sits around for many months to be ridden again..

Some may say this is bad to do,but i disagree. everything i own is >>Exercised<<though out the year and is ready in a min! from weed whips -mowers-generators-toyz-etc-etc

To each there own and good luck to your summer storage ;)!

I start my machine 2-3 times a month since the very first day i brought it home 8yrs ago ! and this is one reason why my sled runs soooo dang good!

Some may say this is bad to do,but i disagree. everything i own is >>Exercised<<though out the year and is ready in a min! from weed whips -mowers-generators-toyz-etc-etc

To each there own and good luck to your summer storage

I'm with you tomanytoyz, I would think having your machine sit for 7-8 months would be hard on it. Doesn't running them every now and then keep the gaskets from drying out? I run mine up to operating temp once a month.

TRiGGeR605 said:

I'm with you tomanytoyz, I would think having your machine sit for 7-8 months would be hard on it. Doesn't running them every now and then keep the gaskets from drying out? I run mine up to operating temp once a month.
Yes this is also true keeping seals in great shape this way.

Up to temp is very short in the warm .

Battery is fresh ,injectors pumping,etc -->>> all systems go :drink:

tomanytoyz said:
TRiGGeR605 said:

Yes this is also true keeping seals in great shape this way.

Up to temp is very short in the warm .

I did this last year and fouled new CR10EK plugs. I always let it warm up till the light went off and a little longer.

Back