• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Super lite -pro's

DrVis1969

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 SIdewinder LTX-SE
Anyone have any experience or POV's of the Stud boys super lite-pro backers?
Thinking of trying them this year.

I run them on my older backup sled, a 2009 and a few guys I ride with are running them also. The comments I hear are they're like little scoops that really give more traction than traditional studs. I'll post a pic in a bit as soon as I get out to the back of the shop.
Chad

I have them installed on my Apex XTX. I like them,

Have run them with 1.45" MegaBites on the turbo 1200 for over 6000 miles and never replaced one. Putting them on my 280 HP Sidewinder too.

I like to tap them half way thru or so before install as it prevents them from stripping out and seems to have extra holding power. Takes about 2-3 minutes to do 48 doubles with a tap and a reversible drill. I love them in a 1.25" track and the extra traction they provide.

Here's a pic of 144 I ran on my 1200 Doo.

I love them and had spoken to Stud Boy at Nelson's Snow Show about providing them pictures of these backers after 10,000 miles. With the studding pattern I use and the Ripsaw I/II tracks, they complement each other as the gaps in the paddles are filled with the Super-Lite double backer and that is where the paddle-like backer design really shines. I will admit I had my doubts as to how this plastic paddle backer would hold up but as you can see in these images, they have surpassed my expectations. There may be a little more work when it comes to studding a track with these backers but I feel their benefits outweigh that extra work! They have changed the stud design by making the torq socket deeper allowing better tightening without it slipping. When I bought sets from them at the snow show for my Apex LTX and soon to be Apex X-TX, they stated they had larger size backers, not the height of the backer but just a larger backer but yet holes line up with the smaller ones. I thought for the wider pitched track of the X-TX, it was a no brainer but then when Ron told me they were the same price, I also got the larger ones for the LTX.
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

KnappAttack, I have read on other sites of people having trouble with stripping the heads of there studs,,Great tip with the tap.. Thanks
I think all of you made my decision for me.

KnappAttack, I have read on other sites of people having trouble with stripping the heads of there studs,,Great tip with the tap.. Thanks
I think all of you made my decision for me.

Exactly the reason I tapped mine half way thru. They stripped out far too easy using just warm water and soap.

Tap half way thru and don't worry about warm watter. I ended up just using cool water and soap, no need to keep it warm anymore which was nice.

I use square shank Woodys Megabites and its actually easier to install the Pro-Lite over alum backers and nuts.

Ron from Stud Boy told me a new trick was to use Amor-All instead of the hot water. With it being a greasy milky substance, it lubricated the hole for the stud to be drilled thru. Rather than soak them in it and have a mess, I just used Q-tip to line the backer hole with Amor-All and then used air tool with torq bit to run stud thru. Prolly six of one and half dozen of the other because that added time much like pre-tapping. Had friend stop over and help and switched to electric drill, compressor was running all the time and was too noisy, and then they went in like butter and no tapping. I tell you with new style stud (deeper torq hole), I used the same bit as did the last time (bought couple when doing it at first because back then stud had shallow hole for torq and when torq bit wears is when they tend to strip) and had no issues with any stud. There were some I went back over with ratchet to snug them up but that was it. All I can say is that it is definitely worth the extra work in the long run:Rockon:

Back