• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Surprised by the 2014 Nytro. Anyone else?

I love my 2010 Nytro XTX and it took alot of updates and extras to make it what I enjoy riding but I am glad Yamaha has kept the Nytro in the line up and I hope they do keep it there.I am still on the fence about the new Viper I love the look the sound not so much but hope to be able to demo one somewhere this winter or spring and then I can decide if I like it or not. Also not so sure that when I replace the Nytro I might just jump on a Vector with power steering.

Come on Yamaha hope you have the Demo Rides at Cascade Mountain again this year.

Nytro is still the coolest looking sled ever made! Go ahead and buy a Viper and when you pass a Rush or Cat on the trail, you'll wonder "Is that what my sled looks like?"

Ya I'm very glad I got my 13 XtX when i did. i love the stiffness of the suspension and the power. All I want from Yamaha is the race front end of the Nytro. THey have a class leading sled right there. Lighten up some stuff if they want but not to give up strength. Lots of my buddies "light" sleds bend and twist with little impact. And Im talking about the rails and tunnel not the subframe.

I can understand why they're keeping the Nytro for another year. They can sell it at a lower price then the Viper, you're getting the same motor, and there's a ton of aftermarket stuff out there for it already.

Plus, there are always going to be people out there who prefer the tried and true rather than the latest and greatest. Say what you like about the Nytro, but it's an extremely dependable package.

I just wish Yamaha has done some tweaking over the years. Bigger gas tank for one, but the handwarmer switches should've been fixed a long time ago, and the steering post should've been relocated.

What Yamaha really should've done, in my opinion, was introduce a touring version, an Adventure version, if you like, that was more a mix of the Venture and the Nytro.

It should have
the Nytro motor and chassis
10 gallon fuel tank
Vector gauges
high output alternator
a rear heat exchanger for better cooling
undertunnel exhaust exit

Put all that together, along with a few other improvements and they could squeeze another couple of years out of the Nytro.

Of course now there's no need. The Viper really is in a better chassis, and will make a better all round sled.

swmichvector said:
No not suprised at all. Everything carries over from 13. The viper is "testing the water" to see what we think as well as build quality. No viper for me till it gets turbo power.

X2 i want one turboed! And white/blue with a black tunnel, the white is going to suck to keep clean!

nitris223 said:
I really thought Yamaha would have come out with a factory turbo and supercharger with no price increase. I think it is lame that they just put a Yamaha motor in a Cat chassis. Yamaha could have made a lighter chassis for the nytro easy . They could have designed it to handle better. They could have tweaked the motor for more ponies and still be reliable. Lots of us running full exhaust systems with no problems. I thought the same thing when Suzuki and Kawasaki jumped in bed together and used the same atv just changed plastics.

The aftermarket and riders have showed Yamaha what to do to make their sleds ride better, handle better , funny how they couldn't come up with a better solution. Maybe Cat has a good chassis but I have seen tunnel issues that get bend when the ice freezes under the heat exchanger in the rear and buckles the tunnel. They have a fix which changes the tunnel. They Cat plastic is very brittle. Doesn't take much of a bump to crack it. I have seen this first hand. They will crack around all the rivets in the front nose area under the hood.

I will keep my 2011 MTX Nytro for a long time yet. I went to Yamaha for reliability and durability. If I wanted to fix all the time and worry about things I would still be riding a Polaris or a Cat.

Bold: For real?

Aim high I guess...

I have a 2010 rtx se and would not change .Did a few things and mods and love it. Supercharger is going on this summer so i will see all the new vipers in the mirror. The nytro is imo better riding then the artic cat.

yamariv said:
I was surprised at first but keeping the Nytro still makes sense to me now. I just bought my 2011 XTX and am not in the hunt for a new sled yet but if I was I don't think I'd buy the Viper, especially the first year. I just couldn't get over buying a hybrid sled with another brands parts in it. I bought a Yamaha for the quality and durability and would probably still only buy a fully Yamaha made sled if I had the choice.

I'm with you. At first i wanted to run out and order the Viper. Besides the price in Canada being retarded, I thought for a minute. OK the motor is tried and true but it's wrapper is questionable at this point. Even if the $$ was in my favor I think I'd still wait a season.

First off, let me say I have overall really enjoyed my 12 xtx. It has been turn key so far. Power is great, fuel mileage is nice, and it is great skipping the injection oil. That being said, I would love a new viper for these reasons. Even with a block off plate the tunnel icing is an absolute joke and pita. Before shimming the skis I never knew where it was going to go when letting off the gas, suspension handles bumps about half as well as the vipers will, wheel bearings were toast in 1k miles, hyfax wear in good snow is still absurd. The good: one belt in two years, seamless clutching, awesome motor. I'm keeping it to make it better and use up the 5 year warranty.

Back