• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sway Bar Delete

ttabs

Extreme
Website
www.putfile.com
Who popped the sway bar off their Nytro?

Mine's laying in pieces on the shop floor. What a PITA that job was. No going back now !!!!! Hope I like it gone.

I removed mine in one piece and yes it was a PIA. I had to use a torch and LOTS of heat to get the four bolts loose in the subframe. If you're running the stock shocks still I would leave the swaybar in, they are just too soft. I pulled mine when I put the Floats on.

Front Springs

For 09 they are going to a single rate spring (it is a 32 neuton millimeter spring). To convert that to a US rate spring, measure the old spring for OD, length and wire thickness that should get you almost dead nuts on to what we will see on the 09. I am sure someone on here has the knowledge in this department. It shouldn't be a problem finding a vendor to get this spring. Yamaha won't have this shock and spring setup available till fall. No change to front suspension geometry like the rest of the Nytro line up is getting. ;)!
The picture is of a 09 MTX that they had in MT last weekend. It had a stiffer single rate spring in the front and it sure felt more stable. The reason for the spacer is the spring was to short!

Attachments

• IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 111
That spacer looks very interestiing. I guy could use that on his '08 to stiffen up the front end if needed. Mine currently are cranked down to about 1/2" from the bottom of the threads.

I wonder how I could get a hold of a set of those to play with.

Nikolai - after removing the sway bar, the front suspension still 'feels' stiffer than the way I had my Rev set up. Perhaps the heavier wt will make a big difference and I'll see how it handles. When removing the bar, we stripped one of the top allen screws. I got out the ol Harbor Freight grinder directly on the bar and finished 'er off.

sledmontana said:
So, Stabilizer is useless or heavy? Why did they put it on there? Why take it off? With stock shocks(for now) stabilizer good? No? ...

The sway bar is not good for mountain riding by design and function. How the sway bar works is if one ski comes up then the sway bar pushes that ski back to the ground. The bar tries to keep the same pressure on both skis. This is very good on the trail but sucks for side-hilling.

sledmontana said:
So, Stabilizer is useless or heavy? Why did they put it on there? Why take it off? With stock shocks(for now) stabilizer good? No? ...

Stabilizer is useful if you are a trail rider...but for me, I think that the trail handling post Sway bar delete is no worse, actually a little better...

Stabilizer is only a couple pounds, but every couple pounds makes a difference when yo uhave shaved the big weight stuff off..

Most manugfacturers put it on there as a safety measure, call it risk mitigation...

Why take it off? it is WAYYYYYY easier to lay it on its side, the sidehilling capabilities are infinitely improved, and the ability to do powder donuts is INSANELY increased!!!

Stock shocks, like TTabs said, are just fine if you screw them down...I will get a pic of where mine are, and post it...but there is NO negative I experienced this weekend or last and we had a mix of good and bad snow conditions, and good and pbad trail conditions...

Cool, thanks for the info! I am going aftermarket shocks for next season on my Nytro and Apex. Prob keep bar on through the rest of the fluffy season here(it dumped 6" in town! last night!!!) then cut it out for spring riding and sidehilling on the firmer spring snow.

Back