• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Switching to 16" Wide

Has anyone out there switched over to a 16" wide track on the stock '08 tunnel? I thought I've heard of this being done, just curious about what all is needed to have it fit properly? I tried searching the forum but can't find anything very detailed about doing the sawp. also, it is a 2.5 lug track so I'm thinking of going with the MPI coolers so I don't have to cut the track down, aswell as to prepare the machine for a stage 2 SC next season.

PM Mtnviper. He gave me a lot of his "lessons learned" when I did my switch out from a 153 to a 162. You'll have to switch your drop down brackets- I used the ones from K-Mod and you'll need to reverse a couple bolts. Other than partially grinding down the rivets in the tunnel and accurately postioning the drive sprocets, it's not that really difficult. I think that I'm running with about 3/16" clearance on the sides at the point where the track rolls over the drive sprockets and the rivets and reverse bolts are about .090" tall( inside the tunnel). If you do this, you need to keep your track aligned pretty true and I've only had 1 problem with a pretty loose track and using reverse on ice when unloading the machine off my sled deck. Let us know how you do. Sledboy04

I'm running a 16" wide, no problems. It does require a little tunnel clean up but nothing difficult. Doit all when the track is out, its way easier.
BTW, my sled is a 2010, i don't think there is a difference in tunnels for fitting a 16" w.
I'm also running 2.5" lugs no cooler mods but i'm running Avid 3"pitch drivers.
I will be swapping out to a 174 from a 162x2.5", just waiting for my Iceage rails.

IMO its a great mod and i highly recommend it for the Nytro.

Right on thanks for the info guys! It's a major relief now knowing the 2.5 will fit without cooler mods. I'm thinking I'm going to order some Nytro drop brackets from CR Racing tomorrow, all depending if they are built to get a 16 wide in there... anyone got a set of these brackets?

smithereenpsycho said:
Right on thanks for the info guys! It's a major relief now knowing the 2.5 will fit without cooler mods. I'm thinking I'm going to order some Nytro drop brackets from CR Racing tomorrow, all depending if they are built to get a 16 wide in there... anyone got a set of these brackets?

I got mine from Chad at CR also, nothing realy special about them they're aluminum drop brackets that are a little longer and allows better track clearance. Any fab. shop could make them up. Though it might just be easier to order a set from CR.
Will you be changing your drivers or running stockers?

Here are a couple of pics of the drop brackets I made to gain extra clearance for the 16" wide track.
When I was still running the stock XTX skid, the inner brackets were stockers that I cut down.
After I converted the sled over to the Timbersled skid, I made new inner brackets out of 1/4" 6061 Aluminum. The black powder coated brackets under the running boards, are part of the old OEM bracket that I modified to work with the new aluminum bracket.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    557.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    514.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0753.jpg