• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tail and headlights not coming on when cold

LEERIVERNYTRO

This saturday started up my 09 xtx and both tail and headlights did not come on. After 4-5 minutes of idleing they both turned on. Temp was -23 c I think that's around -9F. Is this suposed to happen or something to worry about. Thanks.

I know people are having problems with the relays on the Nytros and I read a thread that stated they have a relay for headlamps.

The headlight is turned on by the load control relay. The headlight relay is for high/low beam.

Nytrorelaylocation-1.png

I had the same problem, except it was about 28- below the donut, and I started it and not taillights, or headlights, then couple mins. later they came on, first time this has happened to me, and the first problem , although, not sure it is a problem, that I have had with my sled, and sh-t I dont want to work when its that cold out eitherm so Im not sure what caused it either, but im not gonna worry about it.... jm2c

It's a common issue with Yamaha sleds. My Vector and my cousins SRX did the same thing every now and again. Never bothered to change the relay because they would eventually come on.

Mine had this problem 6 times this past weekend. Also my buddies 09 XTX would not start because of the fuel pump relay in the same bank of relays below the headlight. I have the frost bite to prove it. It took us a hour to remove and thaw the relays so they would work. Then while doing that the headlight relay cracked and a piece of plastic got lodged inside and the relay would not function, so I cut the top off and duct taped it so the contacts stayed together and ran it that way, had to remove the hood and unplug the relay every time we stopped. I will be carring some spare relays from now on.

I had the same thing happen to me as well this past weekend up in Bigfork, MN - eventually after a few minutes both headlight and taillight popped on and I never had the problem again. . . .temp was around -25F

I always carry a few spare relays as well as a starter relay in my pack. Had it happen one time last year where I had to cycle the key 3 times to get it to start! Relays are cheap, I recommend everyone carry some extras!!

not sure if this applies to the new nytros, but the 06's would not let the headlights or the dash come on after a start that burned a lot of battery juice,until,the voltage came back to a acceptable level.

multi sled said:
not sure if this applies to the new nytros, but the 06's would not let the headlights or the dash come on after a start that burned a lot of battery juice,until,the voltage came back to a acceptable level.

I'd say it has something to do with this type of theroy, mine did it one time when it was -20 out, and had been sitting for quite sometime. My personal thought that it had something to do with engine temp, but I could see it being low voltage. But I don't think that it is a relay problem, maybe a relay that sticks when it is so friggin' cold!

multi sled said:

You may be right, there is a relay that controls the power distribution in the same bank of relays. It would make sence since my lights came on with in a few seconds a few times and there is no way it warmed up that quick.

Back