• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TD eco trail tune

Pete, whereas you already have EVO stage 4, you are going to need the MAX 17 to be happy. If it is too much, Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, you can always get it downgraded to PT as you say.
One thing to keep in mind, the TD updated tunes come with a knock light. That would let you know if you run into poor octane fuel I would think. They now also come with a Boost indicator which is the hour meter on the cluster, when the sled is running. TD also put the cold start light back in, (red light on the cluster all the way to the left). On that one they did change when the light turns off, from 68 to 88F.

I know I was impressed with my newest tune, the MAX Spool 16 for my set up. It is quick when compared to the EcoTrail that I had, and that was at 15.9 lbs of boost. New BOV next year should bring it nearer to the 16.8 lbs as shown on Buckeyes flasher, or Juke box, or whatever he has that shows the flash and what the boost should be. I can just imagine what that 17 will do !!

Woody did speak with TD about my set up with the partially modded stock muffler, and they did not think that my muffler mod was very free flowing. Not sure if TD tweaked my flash, so we shall find out next season if it in fact does get close to 16.8 lbs of boost.

Anyways, hope you find that SAFE and HAPPY set up Pete.
Thanks Dennis,i sure hope we can hook up next winter and see how they run,besides its nice to ride with other SW,s as my sone only did 2 very short trips this year,all of 3 days riding for the entire year,and he has a very health payment...man I just could not want to work so much O/T just to make all his huge payments.

higher boost levels with the same tune is related to the pipe and CAI i believe more than anything - my friend has a S Q pipe and stock air box, and i have turbo force and CAI , mine makes about 1.5 - 2 pounds more boost than his. on the gage... and its very noticable side x side - in other words,,, hes soooooo slooow... and i dont agree with changing the BOV - we test em with a leak tester from work and they dont leak until over 17 # and then its just a little tiny bit but over 19 - leaks more - my rule is stock BOV to 18# - if u go 20 u need the fancy one.
But 3 bar map sensor,is needed correct?

alot of things have changed - check with ben or mike at td - i know i had to run the sensor with the 17# tunes a few months ago but may be different now...

Thanks Dennis,i sure hope we can hook up next winter and see how they run,besides its nice to ride with other SW,s as my sone only did 2 very short trips this year,all of 3 days riding for the entire year,and he has a very health payment...man I just could not want to work so much O/T just to make all his huge payments.

Sure thing Pete, We shall have to hook up and ride out of Patten once or twice next year. Rode from Shin Pond once this year. Left there at 10:30 and we made it to Madawaska by 3 ish. Trails were JUST awesome. Sounds like your son is on the Pay now and Play later plan. Hope it all works out for him once caught up.

max 17 is a low 91 octane tune - if u cant get good gas - just dont race anyone or do a wide open shot for very far. - and if the motor dosent like it - itll turn timing down on its own. its fine. i dont us a BOV yet - stock is fine to 17. and then it only leaks a little and its safer with the stock BOV. that sandale may make it a bit leaner - talk to ben about that but i run a turbo force which adds about 6 hp compaired to SQ... what dont u like about the sandale 3" - id like to try that one
How do you find the noise of the turbo force on long runs.

How do you find the noise of the turbo force on long runs.
I can tell ya,my 3" sandale is not annoying at all,and sounds very nice,yes somewhat loud when hard on throttle,but you don't worry about sound when going WO,just whats around you for ground.. lol because you can now cover very large fields and trails,in very short time now,with tuned SW

But 3 bar map sensor,is needed correct?
Pete, with the CAI and 3" Sandale you'll want the 3 Bar. I had overboost with that setup on PT, but was also running the TS BOV - which Ben has tunes for now.

ya - ya - thats tru 2 - we tested 3 of them - the new one would leak at 10 pounds and under - i figured it had to break in a bit but my 1000 mile one was great to 18 19 pounds , and then it was just a tiny bit - so i ran it and im happy - i see 18 at the 17# tune consistently - ill try to load the video of the testing of BOV on the bench - back then i was afraid of those higher tunes so i didnt mind it leaking a little - and ive been told the turbosmart makes it run a bit leaner in general - by the pros == again scared -
Interestingly, my '17 started leaking just above 10 psi with ~1200 miles on the stock BOV. I'm not sure what it did stock. My '18 with zero miles on it holds perfectly until above 15 psi. I'd suspect as the spring starts moving and loosening up inside it may open sooner.

Ya,i am caught between,those two TD tunes for next year,but I will only have one tune to a time flashed,by woody,s in maine,i already have CAI and 3" sandale and will get 3 bar sensor and TS bov,i wonder if I try max 17 first,but than fear fuel issues and have him drop it back down to PT is I would still be happy? And I may even sell or trade my sandale 3" for a TD SQ if I can find one used. My EVO 4 has been awesome from mid up to about 117 gps,but has no long legs,and no quick spool bottom,unless I want to tear ECU out,and send away,dont really want to do that. All year I best buddys apex esup and my boys stock winder by a lot,this thing gets 15-17 on any hard snow,running hard above 7000 rpms.Oh ya,ran flawless all year,and did over 3000 miles,and only one blown 8jp in now 3700 plus.
Pete, it's almost funny watching you struggle so much with this decision, but I get it, you want the best. I know I've always said go with PT if you're concerned about fuel, but seeing you struggle so much with the decision - just get MaxSpool 17 and know that if you get a bad tank of gas, the system will pull timing and boost and not let you hurt the engine. If you see knock, just stay out of WOT, it shouldn't knock while normal driving even with 87 octane. Once the GAP system senses real knock, it will keep the timing and boost down until you turn off and restart the sled - it's a great system. With fuel concerns, I'd always recommend PT, but you're struggling so much with this decision and you want max power, just get MS17 and deal with it by carrying a bottle of Torco if you got into a gas quality situation.

I know you'll still struggle with this decision until the minute you get up to Woody's with your ECU ;) but that's my revised 2 cents based on what I think you "really" want from the tune.

what dont u like about the sandale 3" - id like to try that one

I have this muffler on mine - I really like it. It's definitely loud compared to stock, my muffler test shows just how much - but I don't find it all that much worse than the SQ when riding. The power difference over the SMM is VERY noticeable, and the 3" picks up a solid 2 psi of boost with the same tune, so you know it's free flowing. If you ride in an area with a lot of noise enforcement, it "might" be an issue, but it's nothing compared to a lot of the 2 strokes I hear in the U.P. If I could get the performance of the 3" in the sound of the SMM I would, but I'm a power junkie like so many of us on this forum. "Hi, my name is Art and this is my first meeting".

Pete, it's almost funny watching you struggle so much with this decision, but I get it, you want the best. I know I've always said go with PT if you're concerned about fuel, but seeing you struggle so much with the decision - just get MaxSpool 17 and know that if you get a bad tank of gas, the system will pull timing and boost and not let you hurt the engine. If you see knock, just stay out of WOT, it shouldn't knock while normal driving even with 87 octane. Once the GAP system senses real knock, it will keep the timing and boost down until you turn off and restart the sled - it's a great system. With fuel concerns, I'd always recommend PT, but you're struggling so much with this decision and you want max power, just get MS17 and deal with it by carrying a bottle of Torco if you got into a gas quality situation.

I know you'll still struggle with this decision until the minute you get up to Woody's with your ECU ;) but that's my revised 2 cents based on what I think you "really" want from the tune.
Thanks brother,i would like to keep my sandale,and also get the TDSQ not sure I can swing both,one may have to go,maybe if someone wanted to swap,that would work out better for me in maine,because they are watching hard,and its only a matter of time before a ticket comes my way.

Back