• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Fastest Way to change

For the cost of oil and filter Verses the cost of oil and filter related failures its just baffling to me how much people cheap out on a once a year/seasonal service that costs abot $50.00....BUY THE BEST YOU CAN GET!!!!!

I change the oil and filter on my Attak every season and plan on doing the same with the Phazer but the cost of the stealers' filter is outrageous. I can get an Amsoil filter for $5.00 less than I paid yesterday for my Attak and it's a bigger filter and the filter for the Phazer is $10.00 cheaper. Next time I'll go that route.

QUADSCRIB said:
For the cost of oil and filter Verses the cost of oil and filter related failures its just baffling to me how much people cheap out on a once a year/seasonal service that costs abot $50.00....BUY THE BEST YOU CAN GET!!!!!

exacly, my dad likes to send me to canadian tire and get him the cheep stuff, i liek to stick to the dealerships oil, peice of mind .

I'd like to know the dealer that only charges 50 bucks for an oil change.. i do mine myself now because the last dealer oil change was 150.00 60 oil and filter / 90 labour..

cost me 30 bucks to get the oil and an hour of my time to do it myself. The filter only needs to be changed every 20,000 km or 16,000 miles

i drop my two skid plates, and take all the panels off the right side, including the lower skirt. which exposes the tank and chain case for easy draining..

drank the tank, then the base.. i fill the tank to a proper level then run the motor for 2 mins.. then check my oil level again .. add additional if required..

re assemble panels...

My dealer tried to charge me $170 for an oil change. It was in to have the idler arm bushings done under warranty so the front clip was off anyway. I told them I'll pay for the fluid and filter only. That is called double dipping my friends.

Hi Amsoil 1.

I basically do it the way RedRX1 does skipping exactly what he said on the pressure test bolt at the back of the engine and not removing the cover or the pressure senser for that matter. It's a tight fit. Expect to be puzzled over the engineering ease design of it. NKSales is the same other he leaves the head light on. Feel free to remove head light as it's easy to remove head plus you can lub up the rusting screws and so on. Helps you get at some steering linkage in behind the head light.

As for ussing a torque wrench. It was so tight in there that I couldn't get it to fit after putting a 1/4 to 3/8 adaper onto the torwue wrench. Went by feel and it's likely a bit tighter than the 12 ft lbs. I checked for oil drips before putting all the covers back together.

As for ATTAK. I would like it if you can match up a replacement filter. Yamaha # is 5DM-13440-00-00 and is $26 cdn. I don't think Wally carrys such a replacement in the fram line.

Thats the other thing that ticks me off. Getting the oil wrench to fit there filter. Wally or Canadian Tire don't carry those sizes. Dealer $16, Canadian Tire $6 (but I had to enlarge one so it would fit- via rotary file) So a sub filter may cover that issue as well but unlikely.

Thanks

Phazerron said:
Hi Amsoil 1.
Thats the other thing that ticks me off. Getting the oil wrench to fit there filter. Wally or Canadian Tire don't carry those sizes. Dealer $16, Canadian Tire $6 (but I had to enlarge one so it would fit- via rotary file) So a sub filter may cover that issue as well but unlikely.

Thanks

I was looking at the oil filter, and tried it on other oil filter wrenches that my dad has and discovered that the wrench for a Suzuki Kingquad will fit on the Yamaha filter.

The problem I had was not the aive of the actual filter but the difference beteween the top of the filter to the frame.

I ended up using one of those silver hose clamps that you can Screw tighter. And taping the clamp with a hammer to unscrew the filter. Seemed to work well.

I did the stab a screwdriver trick the last time I changed the oil in the Phazer, but I like the hose clamp idea...good thought.

Rick

I'll try to get some pics to show because it was really easy no need for tools from the dealership.

I run a K&N oil filter(part # kn147) on my Phazer. There is a 15mm or 13mm nut welded on the end of the filter. Comes off nice and easy.

Back