• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking about the 05 RX-1...

Nemesis

Any recent converts have any input on how the switch is going?

I currently ride big 2 stroke triples, but now I am in the market for a new sled, right now I am looking at :

Ski-Doo MXZ-800REV
Arctic Cat ZR-900EFI
Yamaha RX-1 ER

I am looking for a good handling, long distance trail machine.

Bought a new RX1-ER this year. Had 03 FC, and before that 02 ZR800EFI. Only bad thing about the ZR900EFI you have no reverse or electric start. As for the SkiDoo, they seem hard to keep together. Leastwise my friend's that have them tell me that. Really don't have alot of miles yet on the RX1 but seems good so far. ;)!

I love my Ski-Doo triples (700 formula 3 and 800 mach z) but this is a whole nother level. Nothing like the feel and sound and workmanship that went in to the design of my candy red '05 rx-1er. Easily equivalent power and far better handling. If that doesn't sell you, the adjustable monoshock suspension will.

I rode a Poo 600 XC in 2001 and switched to the RX-1 in 2003, and now have a 2005 RX-1. For long distance riding, there is no question in my mind that the RX-1 is by far the best sled. We just did 185 miles and I was not sore at all the next day. The fuel mileage, not having to carry oil, and reliability beat everything else.

Handling is a different issue. Stock for stock, the Rev and Cat handle better than the RX-1 on twisty trails. On wide trails, things are more equal.

So you need to decide whether handling or long distance machine is your number 1 criteria.

I came off an 03 REV 600x, that I loved, and now ride the 05 RX1. I now have 1040 miles on it, and could'nt be happier, except that I now realize that the suspension is just too soft for any aggressive 200 plus pounder. That's a minor spring or shock upgrade. The rest of the sled is about as perfect as I could want, maybe another couple of inches of seat height. It carves nicely, rides like a Caddy, and the motor is well, we've heard all that before. My buddy said it best, in Quebec, after trying his new 05 REV800X, a Vector, and a Fusion...."that thing is awesome, THAT'S the best sled, right there" (pointing to my RX1) ;)!

Blueblaster said:
what is the differance in o6 or o5 there probley is none so buy the o5 it is cheaper

my guess is the RX will be about the same except it will get the new front wishbone geometry and shorter spindles of the vector, but again, strickly a guess

I had a chance to put some more miles on my 05 RX-1 this weekend. Rode with my buddies on F6 and Fusion. All I can say is Wow this sled is amazing great ride and a legendary motor you just can't beat this 4-stroke great power super smooth and no issues. After the 05 lost 30 lbs and got the Mono shock you can stack it up to any sled in the industry. It feels lighter than the Fusion and on the lake it is much faster at least 6 miles per hour. You can't go wrong with this package!

Wolfie, I wouldnt bother with a new spring until you move the preload clip on yours first. From yam. you nonly have 1-7 and on clip pos #2 you start at 8 I am heavier than you and I am set at about 11 or 12 and looking for something to jump! The only air sofar was a horrible launch " one side way lower than the other" there was almost time to worry but it felt like landing in a pile of pillows ;)!

I'm a little confused, thought I had the spring already preloaded all the way. And unlike my old SRX, I don't see how the shock mount can be moved to alter the leverage ratio, looks like one hole, not a cam type mount. Am I missing something? I hear ya on the one side lower landing thing. We were playing in a sandpit on Wed, and I launched off a bank, came down hard on my knee.... #$%&* :o| it hurted! (no fault of the sled)

Back