• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Those with MPI supercharged Apex's, questions?

Yes you will need to carry gas. The way I look at it, my 835 viper with a 10 gallon tank would get 60 miles. With 190 hp viper. Now with a 7 gallon tank and 240 hp getting 50 miles to a tank. Guess I don't have much to bitch about.

add rear fuel , 2.5 gal gives you 130-140 miles per tank boosted ! My apex @ 200hp 5 lbs gets it !

mpi

apex mpi stage 1
12 psi 3 head gaskets
60 mile to tank sometimes 70
hard trail and some lake riding
had jannettys blow off valve but it
hesitated and couldnt get the fuel right
so i blocked it off with a pc of brass in between
the cooler and valve
the mileage must come from the blow off valve
mine runs great but bad mileage
any fuel numbers for the updated gems would
help me get rid off the hesitation
maybe i need to talk to ted
thanks any help would be apreciated because i dont even
ride it anymore because all we do is 200 mile + trips
and i dont want to be slowing every body for fuel stops
i just ride my stock attak
i do have 3800 miles boosted @ 60 miles to tank $$$
thanks duane
618-781-4703

Good thing I just bought the Yamaha fuel caddies for mine ;)! One for meth, and one for fuel. Should help some. Don't want to hold up the rest of the group without boost

I used to manage 100 miles to a tank on a stock un modded mpi stage 1 kit at 7 psi. Running trails between a mix of tight and open trails. The fuel mileage comes from your mid range numbers, on the gems box and also your accellerator pump setting eats gas if not set correctly.

What I think everyone needs to take into consideration on the mileage part is that the stock odometer is off as well as the speedo. I found that with the speedo gear cut with 1 tooth off will give you your mileage right on the money but speed will still be a little high ( 5 mph at least) I have my gear cut with 2 teeth off and the speed is almost on the money ( actually 1-3 mph low) but my mileage reads 11% lower than the actual miles. Also take the US mpg vs CDN mpg you are not making true comparisons. What I am saying is that trail riding on good hard pack will net you about 100-110 REAL miles but get in some soft loose trail conditions you will be down to 85-90 REAL miles and that is if you run dry on the tank . More realistic is 90 on hard pack, 75 on soft snow.
This is what I found after a full season running 5-6 #'s of boost for 5000 miles with a vortech Bov on any gas that I could find, I'm sure those #'s will be lower as you increase the boost. My 2 cents.

Thanks guy I will see if Ulmer and I can come up with the right settings on the box and keep it some what decent. Cant wait to get some miles on it and try to wipe the smile off my face :)

sheetwright said:
Good thing I just bought the Yamaha fuel caddies for mine ;)! One for meth, and one for fuel. Should help some. Don't want to hold up the rest of the group without boost

Any way you can give us a picture or two of your caddies?

newbie to supercharger

Very interesting thread.

Sounds like I would be very happy running 5-8 Ibs of boost. I ride in some pretty remote areas at a max elevation of 3000'.

Does this kit come with the required clutch mods too? Can someone with basic mechanical aptitude install this kit?

yes if you can read and understand picture's it is very simole to install. mpi is helpful if you need help. I don't think the clutch kit is included, but might want to double check with mpi.

Yummy said:
sheetwright said:

Any way you can give us a picture or two of your caddies?

Can't find the part# right now, but they are from Yamaha. I ordered them about two months ago from Hauck. So they are sitting up there with the sleds. So here is a pic I found on the web. They will give you 2.5 extra gallons. That plus the trail tank should do the job. The nice thing with these. Is the tanks come out, and you can use the bags seperate, as saddle bags. well found this link, and new picture on the Highlands yamaha site

View Larger Image

Yamaha FX Nytro® Fuel Caddies

These handy hard-sided fuel caddies can carry two 1.5 gallon fuel cans and can also double as sturdy storage bags when extra fuel isn't needed.

Fits all '08- '09 FX Nytro® models
Black
Item: SMA-8GL73-CD-DY Usually Ships In:

Attachments

• 1027-Accessory_Fuel_open.jpg
    1027-Accessory_Fuel_open.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 1731571ed81.jpg
    1731571ed81.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 90
the only thing i really found with mine is that the boost numbers changed with the weather. mine would run 6-7 some days and then a crisp day or night would run just under 9. plus when its making more power it revs higher and makes more boost again. i rin the boost diviation valve from g force in quebec. i think there way of setting the gems up is way better for milage to.

Back