• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

thoughts on 2013 Apex models

Praetor

I am comparing the apex models (APEX, APEX XTX, and APEX SE), and looking for feedback.

I ride in Northern Vermont, almost exclusively trail riding. conditions vary from soft powder (when the gods smile upon us) to ice to snirt. I weigh in at about 200 Lbs geared up.

I am not an overly aggressive rider, but I do like to snap through the corners (at 35 of course) and open it up on the big long straightaways on the frozen lakes up in the North East Kingdom.

I have a pretty much stock 2004 RX warrior with about 9k miles , including a new 136" Ripsaw track with 144 studs.
I constantly tweak the suspension depending on the trail conditions of the day and who I am riding with, and typically have it setup to kick out in the corners with a squirt of the throttle.

So a guess my questions are , is the upgraded suspension in the SE worth it? how quick and easy can it be adjusted? how does it compare the the base APEX?

What about the XTX? pluses, minuses? I'm just starting my shopping and would love to know your likes and dislikes for any of these sleds.

Also, since I am talking about a basic 10 year jump from my last sled, can I still most of my own maintenance?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your input.

Paretorjavascript:emoticon(':rocks:')

I have an '11 SE. Overall I am very happy with the sled with a couple exceptions. The motor runs excellent, ride is good on all but really bad trails. When the bumps get big the weight really shows up as the front end crashes to the bottom of the big holes. I think the air shocks do help with preventing bottoming but I have not ridden a standard to compare. My biggest complaint of late is fuel range. I suppose it's becoming more of an issue when riding with other manufacturer's models that have bigger tanks and in the case of the ETEC get much better mileage. The new Apex only has a 9.2 gal tank, I get between 12 1/2 and 14 mpg. Low fuel light comes on 85-95 miles. With the old Apex's I was always the last one to worry about fuel, now I am the first.

Buy a Nytro if only riding VT. I used to ride VT with my 05 RX1, I have a 12 Apex and only ride Canada. If I was only riding VT, Nytro is the way to go.

Back