• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thunder Products

Right on, Bob....but even with my speedo error, I didn't see any other stock sidewinders getting around me.
It was a beautiful & easy set-up.
It's these damn boosted boosts, wicked up 900's and now 850R's that have me concerned. Hope to get everything dialed in & running into them this year. Lol.
Ran an 850n/a pol when I was stock. Damn thing was right next to me till about 70mph. That's when I thought to myself..."this is a little too close for comfort"
What wicked up 900's? Have they cracked the ECU finally so they can be easily tuned?

What wicked up 900's? Have they cracked the ECU finally so they can be easily tuned?
Brent (68something??), a member here, is well, well over 400 horsepower. But, I'm pretty sure I saw it for sale.
To my point about the 900s.... Is I didn't want to get slapped in the face by one at 210 or 220 whatever it is, and I'm completely stock.
Do you have any idea the shame that could have been brought back to the TY family? Lol. Let it be someone else. Problem with me is full disclosure. I will not tell a lie and I will not hide a beatdown.

No they haven't cracked it yet. You still need to rip apart your ECU to replace the chip or change the ECU. Nothing easy about the Doo 900, even if you change the ECU your still stuck at 225 or so HP.

The 900 is not made to play with easily, nor is it capable of "cheap modifications". You can get the power up if you're willing to spend HUGE dollars on them, but even then they are nothing like the 1200 Doo with boost, Nor a 998, RX-1, Apex or, well you get my point. The 900 is not a good engine for boost, but everyone clamored for a frickin turbo 900, so they got a girlie 900 with the tadpole turbo on it.

No they haven't cracked it yet. You still need to rip apart your ECU to replace the chip or change the ECU. Nothing easy about the Doo 900, even if you change the ECU your still stuck at 225 or so HP.

The 900 is not made to play with easily, nor is it capable of "cheap modifications". You can get the power up if you're willing to spend HUGE dollars on them, but even then they are nothing like the 1200 Doo with boost, Nor a 998, RX-1, Apex or, well you get my point. The 900 is not a good engine for boost, but everyone clamored for a frickin turbo 900, so they got a girlie 900 with the tadpole turbo on it.
Yep, but next year might be a different story as they now have a 999 with 240HP in a SxS.
However, I bet the ECU will be locked up tight.

Yep, but next year might be a different story as they now have a 999 with 240HP in a SxS.
However, I bet the ECU will be locked up tight.

The ECU is locked up like Fort Knox now...... The 2024 ECU they changed up even more now too. They keep changing it up to stay ahead of the hackers. The do not want anyone in the ECU!

It's gonna be many years before Doo puts that 999 in a sled, and when they doo, you know it wont have EPS on it for 5-6 more years at best, plus they refuse to change that front end. I hate the way Doo has gone with their business!

The ECU is locked up like Fort Knox now...... The 2024 ECU they changed up even more now too. They keep changing it up to stay ahead of the hackers. The do not want anyone in the ECU!

It's gonna be many years before Doo puts that 999 in a sled, and when they doo, you know it wont have EPS on it for 5-6 more years at best, plus they refuse to change that front end. I hate the way Doo has gone with their business!
Hope you're right!

Doo’s ten yrs behind, they suck.
10yrs....lol. I suppose that's subjective. I'd say they could wrap things up in 1yr, if they chose to.
As far as the sucking part. Hmmm ...that I would intent to agree with.
If we didn't have our winders, I'd definitely pick up a 900r.

So is the Doo 2 stroke turbo ECU locked up as well?

Dont know if the new 850 Turbo is locked up or not. The old one wasnt, but I'd bet the new one is locked down handily.

They are already on the edge for pump gas now anyhow, good luck getting any substantial power out of one. It would be a disaster waiting to happen. You might get 10-20 HP with a tune if you can get into it, but it absolutely will not stay running like it should without an increase in octane. It'd be stupid to try if you're a trail rider that gets fuel from a pump. Racing would be a different story with proper fuel and data logging.

I thought I had the fastest stock sled @ 115mph. Lol. Honestly, completely bone stock.
It was was blast.
You wick these things up and all you get is midrange punch. Lots of tuning to get them to run good numbers.
I still see guys tune only, claiming 128 or whatever. I just nod.
LOL - JT this bug bit me too. My sidewinder was a blast in stock form, I only tuned it to play a joke on my old man who had the same machine. Since I was 17 we've always battled back and forth on who owned the faster sled, well when you both buy the (hands down) fasted sled they make we were at a stand still. The year we got them they were side by side every race. The next season racing in the field by his house i was putting lengths on him and he couldn't figure out why. This went on for an entire season, and every member of our riding group knew about it except him. The money spent was worth it ten fold!! Every straight stretch we came to he would be holding it to the bar trying to catch me. He finally got so fed up he took it to the dealer and insisted something was wrong with it and I couldn't hold a straight face any longer. At that time I just had the 240ss tune and he went and put the PEFI 225 in his (not knowing what tune i was running) so joke was on him as I was still beating him. But the power bug bit me in the rear end and once I was running 240 i just had to find out what 270 was all about.

Last edited:

Back