• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

time for my apex rant.... WHEELS

So, this year on my 07 RTX, I put a new track with extroverts, and 168 studs... figure it'd be a great idea for new wheels (you know, the new and improved yamaha wheels, that are supposed to work) and Hyfax, and limiters, and making sure everything is in working order....

So, with less then 700 miles on everything, I look tonight (while getting ready for tomorrows ride) and all 4 wheels are shot, two with no rubber on them, hyfax are almost burned right through, and track and studs are rubbing the shock because of the inner wheels being shot again.

Does anyone build a wheel that will hold up on this sled? It's a complete pain in the @ss on the RTX, because you have to pull the whole skid to change them :die

Ok, I'm done, gotta find the wheels in the AM, thank god for Excell Motorsports an hour away

RedlineViper said:
So, this year on my 07 RTX, I put a new track with extroverts, and 168 studs... figure it'd be a great idea for new wheels (you know, the new and improved yamaha wheels, that are supposed to work) and Hyfax, and limiters, and making sure everything is in working order....

So, with less then 700 miles on everything, I look tonight (while getting ready for tomorrows ride) and all 4 wheels are shot, two with no rubber on them, hyfax are almost burned right through, and track and studs are rubbing the shock because of the inner wheels being shot again.

Does anyone build a wheel that will hold up on this sled? It's a complete pain in the @ss on the RTX, because you have to pull the whole skid to change them :die

Ok, I'm done, gotta find the wheels in the AM, thank god for Excell Motorsports an hour away
I would like to know, been threw 4 sets on my 06 apex,

I did a complete rebuild on my 06 rtx.... all new wheels. Got the 2 inners covered on the recall and then added a 4th wheel kit and added a marginal wheel kit just behind the 2 inners on the outside of the rail. I've put on 1,400 miles this winter and have had no problems with any wheels or bearings. I kept an eye on the 2 inners and they still look good as new. I think the marginal wheel kit helped out alot. I keep my tension at 1.25" of sag. Most of my riding has been in good conditions but at least 200 of it was on hard packed or slightly icy conditions.

Try sledparts.com Rockerdan told us about these wheels. Seem to be holding up good on my sleds and they are on sale still for $12.99. The bearings are replaceable too. just a note the bearing is just a C-hair thicker but the stock bolts will still work, just use a little loctite.

so.... for an update to my fellow TY'ers.... Excell Motorsports (love those guys) had the wheels, so i start tearing into this thing to change them all out, and notice one of my rails has a crack in it right in front of the bump stop..... WTF>>>>>>>>> so...., i call a local sled salvage yard, and they have it..... replace it, and notice that because my wheels chucked.... my studs were hitting the bottom of my shock bracked. WOW! this is a pre-drilled ripsaw, so i figured i'd be in good shape. So it's back together for the night, going riding, and tearing it back down in the AM to replace the shock mount that's half worn off. I LOVE SNOWMOBILING! :)

I blew out all shitty Yamaha idlers 2 times before replacing with Kimpex over 2,000 miles ago. All are still in place and working great! Highly recommend them!

On a side note, my slides are only about 1/2 worn with over 2,000 miles on the Kimpex wheels.

Whats the deal with these wheels? Have they changed them from the vipers and older sleds? I literally have put thousands of miles on those and have had ZERO problems. However I needle grease the bearings and if one is really bad I replace it. I mean no disrespect but are you guys neglecting the bearings, running track too tight, or beating the hell out of these sleds or what? I am curious because I am starting to look for an 06/07 apex gt and just trying to get an idea as to what the problem(s) are.

Mr. Shide - I, too, put thousands of miles of older sleds and had no idler wheel problems. I have heard many stories from a bad batch of wheels, to bad rubber, to bad bearings in the wheels. The 2006-09 Apex sleds with factory wheels blow them off at an incredible rate. And you have to replace the entire wheel as they come as one whole unit. At one point, I could only get the stupid wheels to last about 200 miles before switching to the Kimpex wheels. I think this is a Mono Shock problem - I believe the '05 RX-1s had these issues too.

Well the prob is more of the style of the 07 Proaction... i have replaced my wheels 3 or 4 times now... mono skid once you do the 5.35" wheel upgrade your good to go for thousands... but the 2 centre wheels on the proaction usually beet themselves to death... i have been looking for a 5.35: wheel with a 6005 bearing... its the only wheels with this size bearing... back wheels are 6004, most wheels upgrades come with the 6205 but those darn centre wheels....

I installed the yammi spoked wheels in these centres and have had very good luck with them for keeping the rubbers... if anyone out there knows of a 5.35" wheel with a 6005 bearing please chim in... looking for some~!

cheers,

Back