• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Time to put the sled away.... Till next year....

yamaslob said:
Steely Dan said:
When I start my sleds up every month in the summer I let them run until they shut themselves off. I believe it takes about 5 minutes and the engines get up to operating temp.

Shut themselves off? WHAT?
The dealer told me when I bought my sleds that they would shut themselves off if they are left idling. I believe they are programmed to do that.

Steely Dan said:
yamaslob said:
Steely Dan said:
When I start my sleds up every month in the summer I let them run until they shut themselves off. I believe it takes about 5 minutes and the engines get up to operating temp.

Shut themselves off? WHAT?
The dealer told me when I bought my sleds that they would shut themselves off if they are left idling. I believe they are programmed to do that.

Only when they seize...

Believe me, they will overheat if left idling in warmer weather.

Steely Dan said:

Well they will shut themselves off after the temp warning comes on at 220 degress, I dont think this is a good idea as these sled run about 160 degress in the snow.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I've never idled mine long enough to have it shut itself off. I figured that when I saw the temp light on and the orange warning indicator flashing, I should probably use the key and shut it off...

twomorestrokes said:
Interesting. I didn't know that. I've never idled mine long enough to have it shut itself off. I figured that when I saw the temp light on and the orange warning indicator flashing, I should probably use the key and shut it off...

It will only do it if it has been idling for a few minutes prior to the light coming on. I had it happen once when we were lost and looking at trail maps, I got done and went to get on my sled and it had shut off. Its a safety feature encase you forget and leave it idle for a long period. Now my old rx-1 would shut off about evertime I let it idle.

STORM-CHASER said:
It will only do it if it has been idling for a few minutes prior to the light coming on.

My Vector is not like that. My light comes on and starts flashing if left idling for extended periods. I even left it unattended while idling before I knew better, and it ran a lot longer than 5 minutes. When I came back, the cluser lights were flashing away and it smelled HOT. It hadn't popped it's cork yet, but it was still running.

Also clean and repack the jackshaft bearing next to the secondary and the driveshaft bearing behind the speedo sensor. Each bearing probably has a bit of water in it, it is better to get it out now before it causes rust over the summer.

ToddMeister said:
Also clean and repack the jackshaft bearing next to the secondary and the driveshaft bearing behind the speedo sensor. Each bearing probably has a bit of water in it, it is better to get it out now before it causes rust over the summer.

I've heard this before TM, and am unsure of the procedure. How big of job is this?

twomorestrokes said:
STORM-CHASER said:
It will only do it if it has been idling for a few minutes prior to the light coming on.

My Vector is not like that. My light comes on and starts flashing if left idling for extended periods. I even left it unattended while idling before I knew better, and it ran a lot longer than 5 minutes. When I came back, the cluser lights were flashing away and it smelled HOT. It hadn't popped it's cork yet, but it was still running.

I would think it should mine is a 05 also

I've heard this before TM, and am unsure of the procedure. How big of job is this?

Pull the secondary. You will be able to see the jackshaft bearing. If there is a snap ring in there, remove it, then remove the bearing seal with a pick or small screwdriver. Use the tool to pry the outside edge of the seal, it will pop out so you can get a hold of it and remove it.

Use some brake parts cleaner and compressed air gun to remove the old dirty grease from the bearing. Turn the track to turn the bearing a little while cleaning it. When the brake cleaner starts to run clear, the bearing is now clean. Give a shot of compressed air to dry it out.

Now repack the bearing with a high quality waterproof grease. Use your fingers to work the grease into the bearing. Rotate the track to turn the bearing and help pull in the grease. Some folks also use a grease gun with a needle fitting to get grease into the bearing.

Clean the bearing seal, lightly lube it with some grease, and snap it back into the bearing. Clean out the snap ring groove and reinstall the snap ring.

You can do the same thing for the bearing down by the speedo sensor. Remove the bearing cover and repeat the process for the lower bearing.

Back