• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tipped Phazer

bradmopar

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
10 Yamaha Nytro XTX,08 Phazer MTX, 95 Polaris 500 EFI SKS, 76 John Deere 300
Well I let a buddy ride my new to me 08 Phazer MTZ. Of course he tipped it on to the left side. I flipped it rubber side down and checked the air box for oil and didn't find any. Of course he didn't shut it off when he tipped it and the oil pressure switch shut it down. Only good thing was it was basically at idle when it tipped! He was climbing out of a ditch as we where pulling into town. Oil level in the tank was still good. Fired it up but it took longer then I would have liked for the oil pump to prime. It sounds ok now, but of course I don't want to start next season and toss a rod threw the block. It was probably the last ride of the year. My question is it worth doing a oil pressure test or should it be good??? Roll over valve is on order all ready.

Ditto. If it kept failing to prime then yes, but I say you're good to go.

I had this happen to me a couple times. after the oil settles and I'm assuming the computer or sensor resets your "normally" good to go. like Mooseman mentioned if it didn't prime you'd have some bigger problems.

For whatever it's worth, I had an unfortunate situation several years ago that ended up with my Phazer tipped fully onto it's right side, with the throttle stuck full open/max RPM until it shut off on it's own. I always wondered if this incident burned the bearings or crank, etc. I tore apart the sled to "fix the damage," which turned into a significant modification project (still 'in progress' to this day), so I never ran the engine again after driving it out that day. Fast forward a couple years and I came across a very low mileage Phazer with a blown engine, so I picked it up with the intention of swapping the 'good' engine into that sled for the time being.

I was still curious about what may have happened during the full throttle/oil starved incident so before I swapped the engine, I removed the bottom crankcase cover and did some visual inspection. There was no discoloration to any components, nor did the oil smell burnt in any way. Of course, this was not a thorough tear-down and detailed inspection, but I was quite surprised that nothing appeared to be damaged. I closed up the engine, put it in the newer Phazer and have put on a couple hundred miles since then with no issues. I know, probably not enough miles to know the long-term outcome, but I don't really trail ride so it is what it is.

So as others said above, I think you're probably good to go! :)

Back