• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Titanium Yoshimura RS5 on an FX Nytro RTX

If it sound the way you like it, and you enjoy riding it, I wouldn't care!!!!LOL...
If the pipe isn't made for 'that motor' it wouldn't really matter, ad long as you weren't trying to put a pipe on a 1000+ cc. motor that was designed for a 600, or something like that.
Opening up the airflow should gove you a power gain no matter what, but weather or not you'll notice remains to be seen. I still believe that there are far too many variables when it comes to testing power and performance on a snow machine for the average guy to notice. (snow conditions, temp, himidity, having a variable transmission, etc..)
We don't race the clock, or do anything that 10/th's of seconds even count, so it comes down to what makes you smile!!!
I love to sound, and the look!!! Very creative, and it looks like you've done a great job!

SledFreak said:
These motors are not the same for that pipe, do you even know if you are making any power or losing for that matter?

You're correct, it's a sportbike exhaust muffler, not a snowmobile exhaust muffler, and this slip on system is specifically designed for a 600cc sportbike, but this muffler can also be used on a 1000 cc sportbike as well, and obviously a 4 stroke snowmobile. The only difference is in the mid pipe, where the 600cc bike may need a specific shaped mid pipe to clear suspension components and the rear subframe of the motorcycle, where the 1000cc bike may need a different shape for the same reason, but otherwise, the mufflers are interchangeable. For the majority of exhaust applications, especially with sportbikes, the mufflers are the same, the only difference is in the pipe in between and their need to clear other parts of the machine they are being applied to.

As far as power goes, I really have no idea how much power it makes, but I can pretty much say with confidence that it's not losing any either, it's definitely freeing up the exhaust flow, you can tell just by looking at the size of the outlet and baffle compared to the stock muffler. If you remember reading a while back about the muffler/power theory of some of these sleds, you'll remember that the theory was some FX Nytros had a more free flowing muffler, thus, the reason why some were showing higher hp readings and higher rpms. Now to me, it only made sense that if that theory is correct, then the Yosh muffler I have installed should produce the same, if not better results due to it's purpose and construction. Getting back to the sportbike category, the same Yosh exhaust applied to the CBR 600/1000 RR that it is designed for makes hp just by bolting it on, otherwise if it didn't, I don't think Yoshimura USA would be in business, let alone be one of the biggest aftermarket sportbike exhaust manufacturers in the world, we're talking HUGE compared to the snowmobile exhaust market !!! Anyway, I guess the only way to know 100% for sure would be to dyno it back to back with the stock muffler, and then the Yosh muffler and see what the results are, but after hearing about a few other FX Nytro owners' results when changing over to a sportbike exhaust, the results were a 4 hp increase over stock, so I decided to give it a try based on that and everything I've already mentioned. I'll honestly let everyone know after I test it out myself if it seems to work or not, but the difference will probably be minimal and difficult to accurately pinpoint. I'll more than likely not even notice the 14 lb weight loss. I'll be watching my rpms closely and report back with an honest review. If it does or doesn't help and there is no noticeable difference, no harm done, but if I feel it is hampering the sled at all, I'll gladly remove it and put the stock muffler back on. Only time will tell... ;)!

Nytro40th said:
So give us a update on the mod

I will once I've had a chance to test it out, more than likely after this weekend. No snow on the ground locally, so I'll need to head up North to do some riding.

Sound awesome, I just have to figure how loud I want mine. It looks great too, it just sucks that when you shut your sled off, all you can hear is RAIN falling? (Or was that somebody taking a leak? ha ha)

nate007 said:
If it sound the way you like it, and you enjoy riding it, I wouldn't care!!!!LOL...
If the pipe isn't made for 'that motor' it wouldn't really matter, ad long as you weren't trying to put a pipe on a 1000+ cc. motor that was designed for a 600, or something like that.
Opening up the airflow should gove you a power gain no matter what, but weather or not you'll notice remains to be seen. I still believe that there are far too many variables when it comes to testing power and performance on a snow machine for the average guy to notice. (snow conditions, temp, himidity, having a variable transmission, etc..)
We don't race the clock, or do anything that 10/th's of seconds even count, so it comes down to what makes you smile!!!
I love to sound, and the look!!! Very creative, and it looks like you've done a great job!

Sorry for replying late nate007, just wanted to say I totally agree with you. Slip on systems on 4 stroke applications don't typically cause a loss in hp, usually just the opposite, and Yoshimura is a very reputable company worldwide, so I'm confident that this mod will improve output readings. ;)!

I'm picking up a Nytro and was wondering if you could use a slip on pipe and have the ehaust exit under the tunnel and close off the back of the seat to use for storage on the tunnel???

It may be a dumb question as track clearence could be an issue I don't have one to tear down and look at yet

Thanks

Muzzy Slip on

Heres a muzzy zx6 slip on I installed on my Nytro MTX awhile back

Attachments

• Exhaust complete.JPG
    Exhaust complete.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Exhaust pic.JPG
    Exhaust pic.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 121
Well guys, here it is...Had mine out for a good test run today. I put 145 kms on testing out the Yosh pipe, and let's just say it's staying on for good ! This is my 100% honest report, if it didn't feel like an improvement or at least the same as stock, it was coming off. At first, I wasn't convinced that it was compatible with the sled. There were a few times when the exhaust sounded sputtery at certain rpms and felt as if the sled was now too lean on hard acceleration, but after an hour or so, it seemed to have just disappeared, and the power was much smoother and the engine spun up much quicker. The only performance improvement mod until now was the 1.5" Intense Powder track for better traction in powder, but it works incredible on groomed trails too, HUGE improvement over the stock Ripsaw. Before the muffler swap, I was seeing 8800-8980 rpms at take off on a solid base, with 8600-8700 on a long stretch, and now I'm seeing 9200-9250 on take off, with a consistent 8700-8950 throughout on a good stretch ! Honestly, the sled feels to be pulling stronger ! My top end speed has improved as well. Before I would top off at mid 140's (kms) and today I saw mid 150's, more than likely could have squeezed even more out as it was still gaining speed, but I had to let off due to high traffic on the trails. (there was a poker run/rally with hundreds of riders scattered all over) Overall, I'm very impressed with not only the sound of this exhaust, but the performance improvement is quite obvious too. I never thought I would have noticed anything at all, but in all honesty, I felt quite a bit of an increase in power throughout the powerband. I had spoken with our nearest dyno facility, and apparently these sleds are rich in the mid and top from the factory, and their dyno tests concluded that a more free flowing sportbike exhaust system leaned it out in these areas, resulting in more peak power at higher rpms and more power throughout. I'm convinced that this Yosh muffler did exactly that after my ride today, and I'm more than satisfied considering it was just an experiment, one that ended up paying off very well !

Happy Trails ;)!

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
Well guys, here it is...Had mine out for a good test run today. I put 145 kms on testing out the Yosh pipe, and let's just say it's staying on for good ! This is my 100% honest report, if it didn't feel like an improvement or at least the same as stock, it was coming off. At first, I wasn't convinced that it was compatible with the sled. There were a few times when the exhaust sounded sputtery at certain rpms and felt as if the sled was now too lean on hard acceleration, but after an hour or so, it seemed to have just disappeared, and the power was much smoother and the engine spun up much quicker. The only performance improvement mod until now was the 1.5" Intense Powder track for better traction in powder, but it works incredible on groomed trails too, HUGE improvement over the stock Ripsaw. Before the muffler swap, I was seeing 8800-8980 rpms at take off on a solid base, with 8600-8700 on a long stretch, and now I'm seeing 9200-9250 on take off, with a consistent 8700-8950 throughout on a good stretch ! Honestly, the sled feels to be pulling stronger ! My top end speed has improved as well. Before I would top off at mid 140's (kms) and today I saw mid 150's, more than likely could have squeezed even more out as it was still gaining speed, but I had to let off due to high traffic on the trails. (there was a poker run/rally with hundreds of riders scattered all over) Overall, I'm very impressed with not only the sound of this exhaust, but the performance improvement is quite obvious too. I never thought I would have noticed anything at all, but in all honesty, I felt quite a bit of an increase in power throughout the powerband. I had spoken with our nearest dyno facility, and apparently these sleds are rich in the mid and top from the factory, and their dyno tests concluded that a more free flowing sportbike exhaust system leaned it out in these areas, resulting in more peak power at higher rpms and more power throughout. I'm convinced that this Yosh muffler did exactly that after my ride today, and I'm more than satisfied considering it was just an experiment, one that ended up paying off very well !

Happy Trails ;)!
Excellent :flag:

Back