• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Too fast of an engagement of clutch on 2010 VectorLTX

CaptCaper

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 RS Vector XTX 1.25 Lug wifes..2013 RS Vector LTX.. 2003 600 VMax Past Machines 3-2007 Attaks 1-2010 Vector LTX.. sorry no Stinkdoos or poo's cats.
Our 2010 Vector LTX totally stock with 3k miles on it engages too fast. It just takes right off. My Attak is so much smoother. I tried a new belt with no fix. No idea on what's going on or were to start.
Any ideas on how to stop this very fast engagement to a more smoother one? Would lowering the belt down in the secondary do it?

Don't drop the belt in the secondary, you need to set up your primary clutch for lower engagement. Add weight or change to a different spring.

radianguy said:
Don't drop the belt in the secondary, you need to set up your primary clutch for lower engagement. Add weight or change to a different spring.

Thanks..why would Yamaha put this out OEM? Wife rides it mostly and baby's it of course being 56 years old so it can't be something she's done.

Never opened a clutch before. I'll have some homework to do. Also I was thinking of switching my attak one for hers to make it easier on her.

I'll check the engagement rpm tommorrow. Maybe the motor rev's up too fast. I was thinking I usually only use it when it's cold. Moving it out of the trailer,etc. for her to ride The engine might not be warmed up enough to be smooth on taking off.
I'll have to take it for a ride when fully warmed up before I get into this.

CaptCaper said:
Our 2010 Vector LTX totally stock with 3k miles on it engages too fast. It just takes right off. My Attak is so much smoother. I tried a new belt with no fix. No idea on what's going on or were to start.
Any ideas on how to stop this very fast engagement to a more smoother one? Would lowering the belt down in the secondary do it?

Has it always engaged too fast or is it something that just started?

If your belt is sitting too high in the secondary, it can do this but maybe it is just the throttle response of the EFI Vector?

I don't run the sled much as it's the wifes. I run the Attak so I'm not sure if it always did it. I think (compared to the Attak) it is too fast from a stop. I thought my Attak was quick.
Maybe I should ride one at at Demo coming up in March to compare a new one before I get into this heavy.

my Rage had a harsh engagment too, swapped out the purple primary spring for the smoother white-silver-white spring in my venture. much better now. easy $17 fix:)

Interesting. My '10 ltx doesn't engage too soon, but it is very harsh, always has been, making it hard to do a feather engagement, very jerky and could be dangerous if not expecting it.

iasledder said:
Interesting. My '10 ltx doesn't engage too soon, but it is very harsh, always has been, making it hard to do a feather engagement, very jerky and could be dangerous if not expecting it.

This is what I mean exactly. Harsh might be the correct word. My issue is that it is hard to feather engagement. Just wants to take off. I have taught her to hold the brake down when backing up or else.
If I change the Primary to a softer spring for easier engagement like posted above I wonder what would do to the rest of the action of the clutch. Higher rpms while cruising?

Caper, I don't know offhand what the primary spring rates are for the Vector. But on both my Attak and Apex XTX, I've installed springs with a lower initial rate and very near the same final rate. Much smoother engagement at lower rpm. Give Ulmer a call and order 1 right from him.

I wonder as mentioned above if it might be the hard rubber compound of the OEM Yamaha belt. I have used the Dayco/Carlisle Ultimax belts in the past, but not on my Yamaha's.

My '12 Vector is the same. I'm used to Polaris clutches, very smooth. If I could get the proper info about "fit" I would change to a Polaris clutch.. Other then that, if a differant spring would work, that would sure be a less expensive fix.. I put on a Ultramax belt, this helped but still not smooth. The engagement is 3000.

Thanks ..I'll call Ulmer.

Back