• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed

Enticer

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha LTXDX
I have a real problem with top speed with my 04 Warrior. On ice or real hard pack it runs good but as soon as 1-3 inches of snow hits the trail my top end is gone. 5-10 mph. Arctic Cats and Polaris just leave me. Why don't Yamahas in general like snow? Could it be they don't have the torque the big twins have? This problem has plagued me with my last 3 Yamahas. Any help or suggestions? Thanks. Enticer

I'm no suspension expert, but I would play with your rear skid setup. That can make a difference in different snow conditions. I found I had FAR more hookup after changing to my Cat rear skid, but part of that may have been the Cat track I used at the same time. Its outdated, but its still better than my '03 shorty's fingerless track. I do think the skid's setup has a lot to do with track spin though.

Jim

Enticer,

I know that you will lose top-end in snow. I was only able to hit 112 on a good trail, 105 on slightly looser trail as opposed to 130 on icy backroads. My old XC 700 SP would do a steady 100 on fairly loose, but smooth trails, as opposed to its 110-115 on ice. Of course these are dream meter readings and not true GPS or radar speeds either. If you're getting good holeshots, and not having any problems off the line, then you should be alright.

Have you change anything on your sled (limiter strap, center pre-load, control rods, etc...)?

bad news

sorry to hear you once owned a polarass for being a small engine mechanic every time i see a cat or polarass i cringe cause i dont wanna work on em

Welcome aboard xsrx700, by the way how did you come up with your name? :wink:

In all fairness to the CAT, it was 3 yrs. old when my girlfriend picked it out - without me :evil: but I was happy to have it until things started breaking :lol: It would only do 65 -70 :evil: The XLT Special w/ Xtra-12 was one of THE BEST sleds I've ever owned 105 MPH tops. The only things I did to it were routine like hyfax and shock charging, and a clutch-kit but it was getting out dated and I was getting tired of being whooped by a modified Phazer :shock: Most things I did were to try and make them go faster, and I'm still doing that today with one of the fastest sleds ever produced :wink:

I have never had a Yamaha that liked the snow. I think it has to do with the suspension and the secondary. My sec backshifts so much with load it never lets it get going. Icy roads though ---LOOK OUT---It runs

Have an 04 Warrior too , the sled is not a top end machine. For starters , you'll be hard pressed to find a ski that carves as deep as the Warrior blades . I mean ,that thing digs a good 1" deeper than most short tracks , but we need it to turn , right ? Secondly , the Warrior track is deep, long and heavy. They will not run with RX1 's on top - no way ! In fact , my Warrior is hard pressed to out run a good running SXR on the very top , been there- done that . My thought's : the sled , on snow , will out accelerate about any sled ever produced , including ZR900's. The machine is , simply put ,a low-end Animal ! That's your game , and it's a fun one - stick with it .

Throw a 24 tooth gear in it from an rx-1 and try that for top end.

Now that it is broken in(675 miles on it) I had my Warrior up to 105mph (then I backed off due to visability) field was meduim to pack. Havent gotton to try it on ice , or long streach really hard pack yet.

I was up in Rangely Maine this past weekend (03 shorty)and raced my buddies thundercat 1000 across the lake and he got me off the line but I walked by him at around 105 and topped out at 118mph the thing really is getting faster everytime I ride it .(just hit 750mi)

i picked up some speed this year in the snow. at lest enuf to wast 800 ho ho revs badly enuf that that they think i have instaled some new cams and ported the head. just by in stalling 10 tooth drivers and 7.5 brovo rear wheels the 10 tooth drivers changed the track angle by about 3 dgrees and even f7 are no match in 2 feet of fresh snow i could even get cocky and back off and go around and up the other side of them it was some fun we whent for miles down the lake 8-mabye 10 miles. and for top speed you must get up to at lest 10500 rpm. a side note this year we have not seen good condtions for top speed running here yet but i have seen 115 mph on the speedo and my speedo reeds low this year as i have one tooth removed from the speedpo gear and 10 tooth drivers. about 6-7 mph low 8)

Hey Snowjunkie I just bought a 03 RX 1 and I also own a T Cat.There is no way the RX 1 will ever catch the T Cat in a short drag or long haul across the lake.

I also own a t-cat and I'd have to agree with woopa$$.The rx is by far the best sled I have ever owned but no match for the t-cat anywhere really.I did enjoy getting the t-cat out of the hole in 2 feet of powder with my rx-1mountain a couple times the 2 inch paddles will give you a couple seconds of glory in certain conditions.Strongly suggest a turbo for the rx when running the original "one litre"sled,especially on the lake!

First, don't be too impatient as more speed will come to you in time. Our Yamaha rep said on dyno test done they saw increases every time they tested all the way up to 1200 miles. Yamaha has said you could see increases all the way up to 2000 miles depending on how the breakin period went. I now have 1850 miles on my 04 Warrior and saw 119mph on my speedo / 110mph on my GPS sat night. I was pushing 112mph at my 800 mile mark, so be patient as it will pick up. My sled at the current time is also 100% box stock, which i plan on changing next season in the clutching to free up more of that HP. Don't foreget your's is the fourstroke and pumps out 10 times the torque of any two stroke. Like mentioned above we won't last long on the river or lake, but on the trails and out of the hole it's catch me if you can. Of course the river thing, that's a quick fix if you through on a turbo kit.

Back