• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crazy for not running studs with tune?

Clintww

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2001 SXR. 2005 RX1. 2017 Sidewinder
I have a 2017 137 currently stock with stock track with only 1000 miles from me riding it (5000 total). My thought is to tune to 240HP (Hurricane) and gear up to a 22 tooth top gear. In certain conditions I can blow the track out now, but I feel in hard pack my plan would increase performance and speed. Anybody else running tunes without studs? I know it won't win any short drag races, but that is not the purpose. I have a 33/35 helix that I feel will compliment the gear change.

240 SM tune with a 22 is a good plan. I can help you out with both, but that revers helix is not the one you want. If you still have the stock 35 then go to that and shelve that reverse helix.

I have 6,300 miles on mine without studs. 4,800 of those miles are tuned. There have certainly been times I wish I had them, but overall it has been fine.

I can see where some could run without studs if they live in an area that gets decent snow every year, but I rode 65 miles a few days ago without studs on my stocker, and I'll never do it again! Too many icy areas on the trail around here to do that. Icy hits, forget it. Rode with a couple guys that were unstudied this winter and they couldn't make the icy hill! Even 96 studs for safety is better than nothing.

I can see where some could run without studs if they live in an area that gets decent snow every year, but I rode 65 miles a few days ago without studs on my stocker, and I'll never do it again! Too many icy areas on the trail around here to do that. Icy hits, forget it. Rode with a couple guys that were unstudied this winter and they couldn't make the icy hill! Even 96 studs for safety is better than nothing.
All it takes is ONE accident that could have been prevented if you had them.

240 SM tune with a 22 is a good plan. I can help you out with both, but that revers helix is not the one you want. If you still have the stock 35 then go to that and shelve that reverse helix.
My thought with the 33 initial was to keep RPM up a bit for the increase gearing. Was that a poor decision? I'm not a clutching expert, but I do like how it is working right now.

All it takes is ONE accident that could have been prevented if you had them.
Don't disagree, just don't like them overall, so I tend to keep my speed down overall especially in corners. Probably be called boring by a lot of people. I have 12,000 miles on my RX-1 short track and never felt the need for them on it either. I did have one close call getting up a tall steep bank were it started to lose control right at the top.

You want them loaded but that’s hard without studs
Unless there’s a lot of snow and a deep lug track I don’t know how you clutch to a track spinning
No consistency
Run the 35

My thought with the 33 initial was to keep RPM up a bit for the increase gearing. Was that a poor decision? I'm not a clutching expert, but I do like how it is working right now.

Less helix down low is backwards for quick ET. You hold the shift back just to RPM the engine higher and spin the track without studs especially.

Less helix down low is backwards for quick ET. You hold the shift back just to RPM the engine higher and spin the track without studs especially.
Ok, but will the 33 help with clutch / belt temps once I make the gear change?
not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn. I don't want to remove reliability in the clutches as I seem to have the clutches working well right now. Clutches and belt are just slightly warm at this point except the back side of the primary.

I have a 2017 137 currently stock with stock track with only 1000 miles from me riding it (5000 total). My thought is to tune to 240HP (Hurricane) and gear up to a 22 tooth top gear. In certain conditions I can blow the track out now, but I feel in hard pack my plan would increase performance and speed. Anybody else running tunes without studs? I know it won't win any short drag races, but that is not the purpose. I have a 33/35 helix that I feel will compliment the gear change.
This is the way it was said to me many years ago. You don’t see top fuel dragsters running 13” tires. Why have all this horsepower and not get it to the ground. Plus, the safety factor as others have said. Studs also work the other way. They help slow you down!!!!

Have some studs is more about safety than racing. Too many times I have seen the corners with the snow blown out of them leaving ice only on the surface. Too many guys "drift" through the corners and blow out the snow. Nothing worse than going into a corner from a snow surface to a glare ice surface with oncoming traffic at speed. Studs are real handy when that happens. If an owner does not like studs, perhaps the snow tire type screws drilled into the lugs could offer some margin of safety. I rode my 2014 ZR9 when new without studs for its first 500 miles. I found it unsafe on icy roads and trails. Went back to 5 studs per bar. LOL

Adding Power ??? Trail riding ??? Working on clutching ???
Don't disagree, just don't like them overall, so I tend to keep my speed down overall especially in corners. Probably be called boring by a lot of people. I have 12,000 miles on my RX-1 short track and never felt the need for them on it either. I did have one close call getting up a tall steep bank were it started to lose control right at the top.
Just wondering what are your reasons why you feel no need for studs ??? 12,000 miles on a RX-1 is not someone that spends most of his time in deep snow and off trail???

I got stranded once with stud thru cooler, pulled studs thru track, didnt matter how careful I was always did it. I ride in rough country low snow areas. My home area. The past three years no studs, no problems, I ride a lot by myself. Just be careful like the guy above stated, no throttle jockeys, I run 1 1/2 crossover track, plenty of hookup. Running 250 really hooks in snow, mealy snow, hard pack.

What I have noticed is that its always the un-studded sleds that are out of control and they tear up the trails horribly. I had a un-studded Polaris rider almost take me out this year in a corner, and a few years back another un-studded Polaris rider DID take me out in a corner! You can see the un-studded sleds ruining the trails that run around here. They blow the snow out of the corners and rip up the straights too, fishtailing all over the place and tearing up nice groomed trails completely ruining the trails for everyone behind them.

Back