• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TORS disconection Safe??

08nytromtx16

Veteran
Okay i got the tors code and the throttle cable looked fine and i was just on it yesterday but when i started it this morning it had all the symptoms of tors. So i did the bypass and now am wondering how safe/ reliable it will be while disconected. Besides the fact that it can now take off from a stuck throttle are there any other negative side effects to this and is it possible to leave it like this? ps. just got back from the dealer and dont feel like having it in for another few weeks but will if its needed. Thanks

Usually if the throttle cable isn't adjusted correctly and/or something in the throttle control is hanging up, the TORS will kick in.

It is VERY rare that the TORS itself is a problem, meaning there IS another issue that the TORS is letting you know about, and you are now ignoring it.

Not a real good idea...
Think your sled is fast now?
Your sled is incredibly fast without a rider!

Would suggest finding the actual problem and re-connecting the TORS.
If you decide to ignore the problem, please mount a cam on your sled so we can all enjoy the pics of the crash!!! LaLaLa

rockmeister said:
It is VERY rare that the TORS itself is a problem, meaning there IS another issue that the TORS is letting you know about, and you are now ignoring it.

I must disagree. TORS has been one of the most consistently problematic snowmobile inventions since it was introduced more than 20 years ago. In the years I've owned Yamahas, I can't even remember how many times I've had to temporarily bypass it, nor how many disconnect-lanyards I've installed to get around it. I will say that I haven't had any problem with my 2007 Apex, but prior to that I owned a 2005 Vector -- the one where Yamaha had to replace all the ECU's because of uncorrectable code 84's.

BigMac said:
rockmeister said:

I must disagree. TORS has been one of the most consistently problematic snowmobile inventions since it was introduced more than 20 years ago. In the years I've owned Yamahas, I can't even remember how many times I've had to temporarily bypass it, nor how many disconnect-lanyards I've installed to get around it. I will say that I haven't had any problem with my 2007 Apex, but prior to that I owned a 2005 Vector -- the one where Yamaha had to replace all the ECU's because of uncorrectable code 84's.

Agree! Bypassed my exiter 570 89', exiter 570 02', v-max4 95' but my 06 apex rtx is ok - knock on wood..

Unhooking the TORS has been one of the first things I've done when getting a new sled, ran a 97 MMax 6 years and a 03 MViper until this year, and never had a problem. Found that it takes away any thottle hesitation that I've ever had.

If you want to remove the TORS but still want some type of safety, wire up a tether switch that you can attach to yourself in-case you fall off and the throttle sticks.

Yamaha Safety Tether Switch - $15.94

I plan on doing this in the off-season.

If you want to remove the TORS but still want some type of safety, wire up a tether switch that you can attach to yourself in-case you fall off and the throttle sticks.

I will second the teather. I've had my throttle stick on me a couple times and the TORS saved my butt. It happens to me when I get into a bunch of powder and the air intake will suck it up and then when I get on a WOT run across the lake the throttle bodies will freeze up and stick.

RedRocket said:

Yamaha Safety Tether Switch - $15.94

I plan on doing this in the off-season.

And use it. I started a sled in the garage one time and it took off out the door and into the wheel of my truck with one ski on each side.

Other then a broken bumper and destroyed hubcap I got off easy. I checked the throttle before I started it. But the Tether was not attached to me when I started it. It was attached to the key ring. :o| :o| :o|

Back