• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TORS problem

rcb

My RS Venture has been experiencing problem with the TORS system.
Upon deceleration after a run when you press on the gas, the unit backfires, the trouble light comes on for a moment and the signal 84 comes on momentarely. My dealer has replaced both the upper and lower components but the problem persists. When the TORS system is bypassed the problem does not occur. I will have to bring it back to him to have this problem verified. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

tors problem reply

I have the same problem on my Rage. I brought it back to my dealer and they adjusted the throttle positioning sensor. The problem went away until I messed with the idle screw and the problem came back but not as bad. So I brought it back to my dealer and they readjusted it, but we have had nothing but rain so I have not tested it. I will let you know when I do. It is going to take awhile because we are out of snow.

Re: tors problem reply

nty said:
I have the same problem on my Rage. I brought it back to my dealer and they adjusted the throttle positioning sensor. The problem went away until I messed with the idle screw and the problem came back but not as bad. So I brought it back to my dealer and they readjusted it, but we have had nothing but rain so I have not tested it. I will let you know when I do. It is going to take awhile because we are out of snow.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. That's what I just logged on to write about. My Rage ran flawlessly for 130 miles, but, as we know, if something is gonna go wrong, it's gonna be with the Wife's sled. TORS problem showed up right away, with code 84........called the Dealer and he said adjust the throttle cable..........no diff. Adjusted it in and out, and no diff.. Put a meter to it, and found the Handlebar switch to be a little erratic. Jumped it out, and no problems..........put the meter to my sled, and her sled, side by side, and I could get a floater out of her's once in a while. Dropped it off at dealer's shop..............we'll see what happens.

The infamous TORS system

:o| I had the same problem, after taken my vector to the dealer 2 times he told me to just loop out the system, now my tors will not work so i dont gotta worry about the tail pipes popping when i let off the throttle. :4STroke:

I have thesame problem with mine i haven't got on it hard not over 7000 as ionly have 200 miles but. if I let the throttle snap back it will do it. i'd take it to the dealer but probably wouldn't have it back for 2 weeks. so i'll probably just by pass it till the end of the season. :(

You can adjust the throttle cable yourself to get rid of this issue. Very simple fix.

common post

This seems to be a very common post, and if you search the site you'll see many different views on the subject. This problem is what actually got me hooked up with this site...searching the web for an answer. My Vector had this problem right from the start also, happening the first time in the first 40 feet! Happened 2 more times in 12 miles. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find the problem the first day. They called me back the second day and said that the throttle cable was miss-routed through the steering, and when the sled was turned it put a bind on the cable. I wasn't sure if they were just feeding me a line, but it is fine now after a little over 100 miles. Just a thought.

Everyone keeps saying, "adjust your throttle cable" A taught throttle cable is often the source of this problem, but this Vector TORS problem seems to be bigger than just a simple adjustment. My cable has plenty of slack and is on the high side of the tolerance, yet I still have intermittent TORS issues at very inopportune moments. I'll come off the throttle from a long stretch and then try to apply a little throttle, and the TORS activates. There is no ice anywhere as the whole machine is hot and the air temps are above/near freezing. I mostly have problems when navigating onto plowed roads at the end of a trail when you have to stop and then apply just a little throttle to get going. I am convinced that this problem is bigger than a cable adjustment. I think the throttle switch is junk. Compare your Vector throttle switch to that of a Viper, vmax, etc and you will see that the vector is lot more loose. I anticipate a recall on this one...

hmmm

Hmmm. That's just what mine was doing, and the cable did have freeplay. It did not get a switch replacement, and hasn't happened since the rerouting of the cable.

I know there's a lot of owners out there that has had this happen. Anyone get a new switch out of the repair?

[ I anticipate a recall on this one...[/quote]

That's how I feel about it too............Yam is too reliable to have this many
of the same problems on one board, all of a sudden. When I was metering
my sled, I moved the throttle cable a bit, and the rpm's kicked up. Maybe it is a routing problem, but I still got an intermittent reading from the flipper switch. Should hear from the dealer pretty soon as to what they found.

My RSVenture is going in for the second time for this issue. During the first visit both the bottom control and the switch were replaced by the dealer. Ran the unit for another 60 km before problem reoccurred. It runs fine when the TORS is bypassed. With close to 500 km and the snow now slowly accumulating, I want to get is resolved ASAP. The dealer has asked me take it in since Yamaha want him to run a few tests on it. Taking it in this evening since I don't want to ruin my weekend. Once I find out will keep you posted.

I have had the same issues on my Rage. I adjusted, re-adjusted the cable with no luck. It always seems to happen when im come off of hammering it or close to, and then let off for a turn. When I go to hit the throttle again...it happens. I finally bi-passed it this past weekend and had a full weekend of TORS issue free riding. It was really getting on my nerves and I was not going to let another weekend get ruined.

rcb said:
My RSVenture is going in for the second time for this issue. During the first visit both the bottom control and the switch were replaced by the dealer. Ran the unit for another 60 km before problem reoccurred. It runs fine when the TORS is bypassed. With close to 500 km and the snow now slowly accumulating, I want to get is resolved ASAP. The dealer has asked me take it in since Yamaha want him to run a few tests on it. Taking it in this evening since I don't want to ruin my weekend. Once I find out will keep you posted.

Big question for all of you.............when you say you are bypassing the
TORS, are you doing it at the Bars , or down toward the motor ???
I did it at the bars, and it eliminated the problem.

( also: Looking toward the motor, with a meter, from the bars, I got 2 different readings.......2400 ohms on the bad sled........3200 on the good one...............I don't know what the benchmark is supposed to be, though.

Back