• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Torsional secondary issues

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
For the cat people

My sled came with a torsional secondary in it and I'm not really happy with it. It performs a lot like my old Polaris buttons and is super slow on the back shift. Sure it's great up top but I have the team helix that came with the sled and am thinking of going back to it.

Was it setup wrong or is this just what torsional are supposed to perform like.

For the cat people

My sled came with a torsional secondary in it and I'm not really happy with it. It performs a lot like my old Polaris buttons and is super slow on the back shift. Sure it's great up top but I have the team helix that came with the sled and am thinking of going back to it.

Im running a bikeman torsional secondary conversion, orange spring center hole, with speedwrks custom 46/44 helix good backshift any speed, 829 ultimax belt, tapp primary

For the cat people

IMO, probably setup issue since many have done torsional conversions with success. Either not enough spring (or wind up) or not right helix.
That said, all I can say is my stock Team secondary setup works just fine. Never felt the need to do torsional conversion. Low belt temps, long belt life, good backshift, no belt dust. 280-300HP.
Not sure but your stock Team helix is probably something like 58.49.15 which means it's primarily a straight 49 deg. IMO, stock TCats backshift was really good with stock setup.

Something not right, torsional normally good improvement over compression

So this is what I'm looking at for the compression
PXL_20220423_212652652_copy_1209x1612.jpg

So not having this thing apart and forgetting about my button days. Looking at the picture is more spring pressure rotating it clockwise or do I need a stiffer spring since I'm already at max spring pressure.

So not having this thing apart and forgetting about my button days. Looking at the picture is more spring pressure rotating it clockwise or do I need a stiffer spring since I'm already at max spring pressure.
Yes clockwise, and you have 2 holes yet for more tension, orange spring works just fine, no issues on that helix or spring on my end, i use center hole as long as hole was drilled in secondary in proper spot. Bikeman has a video on this secondary torsional conversion.

So is it hard to clock them? I used to be able to do it one handed on the xcr 800 but I would have to use a clamp to hold the sheeves in place while I tightened the spring.

Bikeman has a tool and there are three small divets in it. Rather not spend the cash on the tool.

So is it hard to clock them? I used to be able to do it one handed on the xcr 800 but I would have to use a clamp to hold the sheeves in place while I tightened the spring.

Bikeman has a tool and there are three small divets in it. Rather not spend the cash on the tool.
Made my own 3 leg tool, it doesnt twist very hard, if you have a old school type secondary compresion tool it will work also with the help of a friend, extra set of hands for ether twisting or running compresion tool.

Back