• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track clips and Studs, need help

rkkoeb

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
None right now
So I picked up a 09 Apex at the end of the season and want to add studs to the track. While looking at the track condition today I notice there are only a few track clips left on the track. Track other wise is in excellent condition. With this said how hard is it to install new track clips? What brand/style should I go with and what tool do I need to install them. Also, thinking of doing 96 studs does this sound about right? I want to do both projects at the same time this summer. Any help would be great

For my Apex’s I went with 3 per bar as the stress per stud goes down. I also did not go overly long as my goals were improved braking and acceleration NOT ultimate hook up to win drag races.
IMHO 2 per bar is not enough for Apex’s 150-160 HP. Others may feel/know differently

Standard track how many track clips will I need

I am looking at going with 1.325 Studs and looking at using 4 per section of the track with double wide backing plates. Can anyone tell me how many studs I will need?

121 track has 48 rows or bars. 48x4=192 studs with 96 double backers.
If the track was clipped every third row you will need 32 clips.

Do u recommend going more than a clip every third row? What brand model clip do u recommend usin . What tool do I need to install the clips

i reccomend clipping every bar as they can cause drag and weird slider wear. been there.

you can use a kimpex tool for installing the clips and kimpex clips for the brand of track you have on the sled if you want. most guys will put the one that needs clipping on craigslist or bargin site and just put a new track on the sled as it is usually less labour /cost than re clipping one. i would price an 1-3/8" pre studded track vs the cost of the clips and tool.

just priced an ice cobra and it was $580.00 us for a 121" track. here in canada $751.00 for the same track.

I think a stock Ripsaw can only be clipped every third as the windows are closed on every third. You can cut out the window to full clip the track.
I personally would purchase a new track giving the age of the track. Been in this situation before and wasted money trying to keep my old track alive.
Bought clips to replace worn and broken ones. More clips popped off and studs started pulling thru. Over time rubber breaks down and it ability to hold clips and studs is compromised.

So I just went out and looked at my track. Looks like I can only do every third for the clips. The track looks in really good condition so I think I will put new clips on and the studs

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 100
Can someone recommend a brand/style and vendor for the track clips?

try cb performance as i know they sell camoplast tracks.

barn of parts might be able to hook you up as well.

What is the best track clip installation tool to purchase or rent so I can install the clips while track is still on sled

well there is a hand one that breaks apart that i have used but it does not clamp them down as hard as the one you use the impact on.

last time we clipped a track it was off of the sled with the impact one so not much help with on sled ones.

Back