• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track racheting under breaking??

fergdog93

Expert
Ok, so all us Nytro riders know about track rachet under hard acceleration, so without running extrovert divers, you have to run the track tight. So, the sled does not rachet at all under power, but I did notice that it would rachet under hard breaking. What happend we I was hotdogging into a corner putting a pass on my two buddies, one who rides a rev 800, and the other who rides a cat f7......anyways, once I completed the "dickhead" pass, I have to fully lift on the gas and get on the breakes hard. I track would rachet under braking so bad that it didn't slow me down at all, I had to basically pump the break to get calmed down enough for the corner. Has anyone else had this issue of rachet under breaking? I'm going to invest in a set of extroverts, but really don't want to tear the sled down at this time, I would like to ride the season and install the drivers in the spring. So whats the fix to get me thru the season? Lord knows I can't slow down.. :Rockon: Thanks guys!

Fergdog93

I haven't had this happen yet with the extrovert drivers. It was, however, the only way I experienced any ratcheting before swapping drivers. Snugging up the track a bit lessened the problem.

Same thing happend to me last spring. Since the trails had warmed and the snow was packed, I figured I was getting better than normal traction. I would come into a corner hard hit a bump, as I'm on the breaks, and bang bang bang, I'm like WTF? the second time I realized what it was and just tried to calm it down a bit. So far I've decided to just snug the track up a turn and see what happens. Like you I'm going to try and put off the extros until spring.

Hell yea I plain on riding like that all day every day, I didn't know you you where allowed to go slower than balls out?? lol j/k. but I do like to run her on that ragged edge most of the time. More now than ever seens on how I got her dialed in real good.

My track is already too tight imo, I just never noticed any rachet before/previouse seasons, unless I was hammering down and she was hooking up. I have the track just tight enough so she won't slip, even on grass....but I guess I have to go a turn or so farther. I was just seeing if there was a easy fix other than cranking her down more. But extro's are deff. on the list for next season, unless I can swap them out in a day or so.

"Balls out" is not a unit of velocity. But it may be a call in tennis.

You could do the exchange in a couple of days if you setup with someone in advance to do the push off / push on of the drivers and had all your replacement parts in-hand.

Pulling the skid and the drive shaft isn't too big a project. Generally a 5 to six on the cuss-o-meter.

Mine makes a bad rear suspension clunk (ratchet ?) launching off small whoops once the sled is just getting a bit of air. Almost feels like the rear suspension is topping out. Anyone else felt this ??

mj

mjaremko said:
Mine makes a bad rear suspension clunk (ratchet ?) launching off small whoops once the sled is just getting a bit of air. Almost feels like the rear suspension is topping out. Anyone else felt this ??

mj

Maybe too much rebound. The shock could be propelling the skid to the travel limit as it's unloaded. Try turning the screw in a click or two - assuming you have that option.

You mean,..... not enough rebound ;-)

I also thought that might be the case. I'll try more rebound next time out.

mj

No...I'm going to stay with too much.

For me "too much" is a faster response and "too little" is a slower response. I think you want to slow the response or travel of the shock to the action of the torsion spring by restricting oil flow slightly by turning the screw in.

But just for giggles, try it both ways and we can work out the definition later.

Arteex, with all due respect ;-)

More (adding) rebound = slower shock return

We both agree on the solution of slowing the return of the shock, which would be adding more rebound.

I can see it from your point of view, logically, more rebound would make the shock return faster, but thats not the way the shock industry looks at it.

mj

screw this shock industry you speak of...

I'm with Arteeex, it just sounds more righter :rofl:

But to make this a useful reply, i'm gonna have to agree, try some more damping on the rebound.

If your going to change the drives, just take a day and get it done. I put on a taller lug track and put on anti-rachets yesterday. With 2 of us working at it , it took about 4 hours. You might as well just bit the bullet and get it over with.

Back