• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

track tightness

Yamyguy

This is my first crack at doing my own maintance, and I was wondering if you guys have any quick tricks to detemine that the track is tight enough. I checked the service manual and it say to use a spring, but I don't have one. ;)!

My experience has been--You don't want it too tight. Don't know about the RX1 manual but all my Yamaha manuals which direct you to adjust for about 1 inch space when pulled with a 20lb force- cause it to be too tight.

Too tight-- too much drag-burns your hyfax and heats up your engine in poor snow conditions.

Too loose-- track will ratchet

Somewhere in the middle but I've generally found the manual spec to be too tight.

Hope this helps a bit :D :yam:

I am not sure what you are riding but for 03 RX's Yamaha calls for a range of 25mm to 30mm from the track to the bottom of the sliders, for 04&05 they call for a range of 30mm to 35mm. This can be done by placing approximately 22lbs of weight on the middle of the track and then measuring from there. I run my track just about as tight as possible and find it works allot better(no slippage). You will find alot of useful info. on this site for maintenance and updates. Escpecially if you have an 03.

I bought a cheap fish scale. pull to 22lbs and measure. I've had excellent success with slider longevity. My orig track was terrible - - ratcheted like he##. I just lived with it. Converted to 136 and changed approach angle this year, haven't had it on the snow yet.

I used the Mountain Perf Extension kit (Option 2) when I converted to 136. Option 2 reduces the approach angle.

Back