• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Traction set-up questions

Who was the manufacturer and size and name of the stud that you bent all 144 of them that first season… what stud and manufacturer did you switch too that are working well. ???
I had contacted the manufacturer and they wanted them all back to test the hardness of them. They had my lot number from manufacturing of them.
They were not heat treated correctly.
They sent me all new studs backers and nuts to do 196 to replace my 144 bent studs.
Sno studs

Last edited:

I had contacted the manufacturer and they wanted them all back to test the hardness of them. They had my lot number from manufacturing of them.
They sent me all new studs backers and nuts to do 196 to replace my 144 bent studs.
Manufactured in Wisconsin
I had the same thing happen to me with the Studboy plastic backers, back in my skidoo days.
I was losing backers and called studboy, they sent me new ones right away. Never one issue with the new ones. Overall I've probably got 14,000miles on their product.

Information is good to know and these problems could happen to any manufacturer and when they stand behind there products thats all you can ask…
Sno studs
With that said you changed 144 to 196 after a quality control issue in a effort for better traction you added more studs which is normal thinking.. So you never really tested a longer stud with a better plate design at 144 and wonder if you had would your opinion have changed? Your track size is 137 ???

First picture is the 144 studs.
Second pic is 196 studs. 1.86 length
3/8" above lug
I only studded due to the fact that I don't like the track breaking loose at 100mph.

41161.jpeg
Screenshot_20231117-191835_Gallery.jpg

Nothing like last year. Almost dead hooked, motor bogged down. Lol.
Hmmm
You’re welcome
Lol
Ran 128 studs in t cats over 1/2 past lug in one inch track
More fun that 1 1/4 track on trail imo unless we received 1 foot of fresh snow
I ride groomed trails and race on the lake
It hooked on almost everything kinda like the boost bus length gapping the 998s in the videos
A little lug out of the gate on snow is good cause spinning ain’t winning

Hmmm
You’re welcome
Lol
Ran 128 studs in t cats over 1/2 past lug in one inch track
More fun that 1 1/4 track on trail imo unless we received 1 foot of fresh snow
I ride groomed trails and race on the lake
It hooked on almost everything kinda like the boost bus length gapping the 998s in the videos
A little lug out of the gate on snow is good cause spinning ain’t winning
Trailleader, Last year was brutal. Horrible conditions on all the lakes (wis) if it wasn't all lumpy, it was full of slush. Couldn't make any headway.
Ecotrail & stock helix is causing bog, amongst other things. Work in progress....you know!
But had to start somewhere?!?!
Mucho gracias amigo....

First picture is the 144 studs.
Second pic is 196 studs. 1.86 length
3/8" above lug
I only studded due to the fact that I don't like the track breaking loose at 100mph.

View attachment 174839View attachment 174840
Looking at your second picture it appears you have stressed your track a major amount at the reinforcement rods with rubber missing in alot of area’s … you might want to keep a close eye on that track….

Looking at your second picture it appears you have stressed your track a major amount at the reinforcement rods with rubber missing in alot of area’s … you might want to keep a close eye on that track….

Wow just noticed that good eye

That's the only section on the whole track with any lugs delaminating. It will have a real close eye on it. Looking for a new track.

Rest of track looks mint
Only missing lugs at 3 different bars.
What is your take on track?
Junk or run another season?

Rest of track looks mint
Only missing lugs at 3 different bars.
What is your take on track?
Junk or run another season?
Not sure I would be running any prolong wide open runs , but Iam sure it will hold up for this season if you take it easy… you don’t want to find out what happens if you blow it on a tight trail at high speed…. Just not worth it…

Nice catch, Simplespeed... I never like to tell people when and how to spend their money, with that said I'd take a peek at marketplace you can get a track for 50¢ on the dollar. Not saying you're broke, Just saying.
I might use it this year, under the condition no high speeds were being ran.

Back