• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Tank Melting

LEERIVERNYTRO

Took my sled into the dealer to have a loud primary clutch looked at and he says my trail tank is melting. Sled is an 09 XTX and I bought it used from a skidoo dealer. The tank was installed for the origional owner by a different Yamaha dealer. Anyone heard of this and is there a fix. The dealer that has it now thinks i should replace it with the origional tank and shields which I will have to buy as I dont have the ones that came with the sled. :o|

melting

You'll have to take the tank off. The heat shield over the header pipes needs to beaten down with a ball peen hammer on the left side where it comes in close contact with the tank, just needs a little air gap. Put a little reflective tape on it if your worried also..

Call Seth at trail tank,,,,I bought mine from him and he warrented mine with a new one ,,,,there are 3 generations of tanks new one is smaller above exhust header,,,,,,

LEERIVERNYTRO said:
Thanks for the help, I will give him a call. As for the gas putting out the fire, I am not so sure I would be sad if it didnt. LOL

Haha...I always wish my duramax would start on fire so I could get a cummins

Seth hooked me up with the newest version as mine was melting also. The melting was not real bad, but any melting of the gas tank is cause for concern.

yes, it was melting on the front corners where it was contacting the heat sheild. There was a reflective strip between it and the tank, but still caused some minor melting. I was able to see it just by removeing the sides.

arteeex said:
What's the big deal if it leaks? Won't the gas put the flames out?

Is this supposed to be funny?

Had to beat my heat shield down a bit on each side as well,
No melting happened, but I could start to see the contact mark.
No problems now 700 km l8r

Back