• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trailside Plug Change

scottebudd

Somebody who has a season or two on a 2007+ phazer please tell me that the chances of fouling a plug while on the trail are minimal.

Bought my son his hearts desire which was a 2007 FX and we replaced the plugs this weekend. I though removing the seat and gas tank was bad. What is up with those spark plug covers and deep well to get the unusually sized socket into. That plug well looks like a great funnel to help ensure any debris you knock loose during the spark plug change goes right into the cylinder. Then retrieving the plug and inserting a new one. Is this all a sick joke?

Now I want to change the oil and need to remove the oil filter. Guess I have to have the rest of the cowlings removed for that. Hell, I'm gonna have this thing half way disassembled each year just to do routine maintenance? Are all the newer Phazers this bad? Are all four strokes this bad?

after the first filter change u dont change it for like 10000 miles i think u just change the oil. and ive never fouled a plug on mine so...... yea its a pain but u shouldnt have to do it that often

Hey scottebudd have 4215 miles on my sled with original plugs rolled it several times and once upside down still running. Hit kill switch flipped it back over started up fairly easy was expcting the worst but not so. It would take a 1/2 hour on the trail and hope it's not a white out. The more you wrench on these things the easier they get you just grow to expect it.

Overall can't complain have 3 seasons on the mighty Phazer and only wrench pulled out of the kit to work on it was self inflicted good luck.

I put new ones in at the beginning of each season just to be on the safe side, and I have never had a problem. The only time I had the plugs foul was at the dealer after they did some warranty work on it and they tried to start it stone cold and ride it into my trailer without letting it warm up past the warm up time indicator on the gauges. I made them pull it back into the shop and change the plugs then, as it was there fault. So as long as you let it idle to warm up before getting on the throttle you should never have a problem.

If you foul a plug, just unplug the fuel pump under the seat and crank it over. It should clear the cylinders. Warm it up before driving it and never turn it off until it is fully warmed up.

you won't foul a plug on the trail. the filter is a challenge, but after the first change, i only change every other year, and it can be reached by taking the airbox off (just don't drop the filter, or you will be taking the front end off. the coils are sealed real well and have a nice lip, so its doubtful you should ever get anything down where the spark plug lives.

I agree with wooly, If you need to change a plug alongside the trail, then you probably have bigger problems than just a bad plug. As long as you warm it up every time you start it, these plugs are probably good for 10,000 miles. Most people won't ever go that long. I guess look at it like pulling your car over alongside the highway to change a plug. You just don't ever need to do it.

Thanks for the input. I figured the reliability side had to more than offset the hassle factor for maintenance. Just need to figure out how to get the cowling off to get access to the oil filter.

scottebudd said:
Thanks for the input. I figured the reliability side had to more than offset the hassle factor for maintenance. Just need to figure out how to get the cowling off to get access to the oil filter.
The more you work on it, the easier it will be, trust me!

let it warm up and you will have no worries, to get the airbox off pull out the 3 rubber gromits on it and you can access 3 allen screws, u will have 3 or 4 hoses to disconnect and its off, get a k&n oil filter part #kn147 it has a nut on the end makes it alot easier to get it off next time. I can do an oil, filter, and spark plug change in an hour. practice makes perfect. and i only do this once in the begining of the season.

dont start it or let your son start it cold and then shut it off just to here the engine. if you start it then let it warm up fully on its own before you shut it down. also if you do happen to flood the motor hold the throttle wide open and crank it over a bit. the computer will shut off the injectors and the motor will clear out the extra fuel.

copo427ss said:
dont start it or let your son start it cold and then shut it off just to here the engine. if you start it then let it warm up fully on its own before you shut it down.

Good advice for ANY engine ;)!

Back