• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Transporting sleds w/ full tank of gas?

powderpimp1

Expert
Ive heard that you shouldent tow the RXWarrior and Nytro w/ a full tank of gas. So im wandering what happens if you do, do the flots get stuck or something worse. And also how do you correct it. thnx. :4STroke:

I have hauled mine lots of times full of gas and everything was fine except this one time when I filled up before going into Canada sled was on the trailer for 5 more hrs and it flooded very bad.I have not hauled since with over a half tank.Going to put shut off valves on for this winter.Mike

I believe the RX models are supposed to have electric shut offs in the tank to prevent this. You could still flood the engine even with shut offs, as the float bowls are still full. I guess it depends how hard the ride is.

In rare instances hydraulic lock has occured by the engine being flooded to the extent of filling the cylinders and ruining the crank when starting. I know someone on Tug Hill who had seen 4 of these so far. This was back in 04. The pulsating of the fuel pump diaphram through trailering vibration was the cause. Fuel shut-offs are cheap insurance. It's rare but CAN happen.

There is nothing electrical in the fuel tank except the fuel level sensor for the guage. The only way to stop this on all carb'd 4 strokes is to install fuel valves. When A sled is trailered the fuel sloshs around in the tank possibly createing a syphon action on the fuel lines going to the carbs filling the top of the piston with fuel fouling the plugs.

Another reason to install fuel shutoff valves on carbureted / non fuel injected sleds.

- Transporting the sled

- Summer storage

- What else?

Another reason to have fuel injected sleds. ;)!

powderpimp1 said:
Ive heard that you shouldent tow the RXWarrior and Nytro w/ a full tank of gas. So im wandering what happens if you do, do the flots get stuck or something worse. And also how do you correct it. thnx.
This was a much discussed topic when the RX-1 first came out. The manual actually states that you should not tow your sleds full of fuel. Some people installed fuel shut off valves to resolve the issue. These were not standard on the RX platform.

This site has been around since the RX-1 first came out. I am only aware of 1 person that ever had a problem towing their sled full of fuel. Most owners never installed fuel shut off valves and still did not have a problem. So whilst the manual says it is a no no, practically speaking, you should not worry about.

When I first bought my Vector I hauled it in the back of my pick-up with the sled's nose down and track on top of the raised tailgate. I filled the tank up completely and drove 275 miles home and had no problems starting it up.

Hauled sleds more miles than I probably put on them, and no problems with the RX1's that I owned.

Towed a 03 and 05 RX1 to Wyoming from Michigan 4 times and never had a problem, i think the flooding problem comes from people not using the choke properly.
:-o

Could someone please explain how 1/2 tank vs. full makes a difference?

Way I see it: The pickups are on the bottom of the tank so no matter how much fuel you have, it'll still flow? The tank is also vented, so no matter how much fuel is in the tank, it's still vented.

BTW: I have hauled my RX-1 without shut-offs and a full tank many times, with absolutely ZERO trouble.

Liquids seek the same level in two containers when the two containers are joined together. Same should apply with gas tank and fuel lines entering the engine.

A tank 1/2 fill will only push the fuel level at the engine to that level.

A full gas tank will push the fuel at the engine all the way to the top of the fuel tank level. [ probably 8 " or so higher ]

That being said, tens of thousands of mile towing numerous Yamahas with no shut off's and full tanks and never a problem for me.

:yam:

Back