• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying to figure out my clutching

Caperdiesel

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
1999 Yamaha SRX 700
2013 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Hey yamma geeks. I'm hoping to learn some clutching. I recently got a hold of a 2020 Sidewinder xtx 146.
Came with TD power trail, Cai, intimidator exhaust, Dalton helix, springs and weights.
After the first trip of only 100km, I am amazed with the power coming off a Nytro. But wasn't impressed with the low end jumpiness, engagement is around 3800rpm.
Weighed the DTYA-1 arms with what weights were in them and it was 82g, and 75g for just the arm. Stock ones that came with weigh 70g.
Primary spring looks to be black/bronze, stock that came with looks like brown/red/brown
I'm not sure what is in the secondary for a spring as I haven't taken it out, but it does look like I can see a little pink.
Helix says HTS1 1076 and is set to 6 on the helix.

Gears are stock
Any comments are helpful, and maybe this is the right setup and I just need to get used to it.

How are the primary rollers? Check for flat spots and wear on the inner bushings of the rollers. Might need a new belt also?

Rollers are great on the outside, I'll check the inner bushings. Yes I think the ultimax one that's on it is stretched. I have a 8jp and 8dn. I was thinking I would put the 8dn on. But did read that they can make grooves?

Jumpy when you are trying to turn slowly, feathering the throttle helps but if your standing up your rocking back and forth. I've only got 100km on the seat. I'll try the 8dn and empty weights next time I get out.

I felt the dalton springs in primary upshifted to quick and engaged to high, causing what you describe, I need to break trail in 2-3' of snow to get to main trail and don't want to trench and get stuck, I went to yamaha ppp primary spring with 2 glide washers, nice low engagement and smooth upshift, can hold steady at 10mph, running 74-75gr with 270ss hurricane tune on xs 825 belt, also run the black tan dalton secondary spring, works great for me on tight trails and I'm 300lbs

Ok that sounds promising. Does is make much of a difference if you run your weight in the tip or heel of the arm?

Would more weight in the primary result in easier wheelies? The previous owner had the limiter straps out all the way, and both skid bolts moved to the lower holes.

I would start with a lower engagement speed. Had mine at 3200 for a short while years ago and it lost much of it’s smoothness. Went back to 2600-2800 engagement and loved how smooth and docile it is, until that 6000 is reached!

I ground the tip of the weights so I'm at 72gr empty which is right on for my 240 tune then add a slug to run my 270 tune, only a few minutes to change and be on for both tunes, I run mine in the tip due to taking weight off there, lighter will feel more snappy and playful, but will be slower, all depends on how you like your sled to feel. I had to pull strap down a hole from stock and back off center spring, ( hy-gear)to keep from wheeling over at 100mph, lol

I also have a ltx 137, so your 146 may not be quite as wheely happy, different there so you will have to test until you get it where you like it, had mine light in front when stock and loved it, but after tuning had to change for safety but now steers harder than I like

Honestly, I would give TD a call and ask what they recommend for thier tune. You have compiled a list of clutch parts that aren't stock and that will help in your discussion. Hate to say it but you might have to buy some different parts and get your hands dirty, but I'm sure all kinds of lessons will get learned. I have the same sled and love it. I only have the eco tune, so giving you my specs will not help you out unfortunately.

Update. Was out of the holidays, ran 78g in the tip. Engagement was right about 3000-3100. Very happy with it. Power is crazy. Let my buddy come off his assault and try it, he was in awe! Worked great in the deep stuff! Only hiccup was the chain tensioner came loose. I know this is a issue with these. Back out again this weekend! Brappp

Update. Was out of the holidays, ran 78g in the tip. Engagement was right about 3000-3100. Very happy with it. Power is crazy. Let my buddy come off his assault and try it, he was in awe! Worked great in the deep stuff! Only hiccup was the chain tensioner came loose. I know this is a issue with these. Back out again this weekend! Brappp
I use the Thunder Products Orange primary spring with Dalton weights ( 74 grams maybe a lttle low but seems ok), and my engagement begins at 2,800. Silky smooth but can still run TD Max spool 17 no problem. TP guys are the best!

Back