• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tuner ski carbide setup?

I know you don't want to spend the $ on new ski's, but if you are going to keep spending $100+ (I'm guessing close to $200 for the triple points) on carbide changes it would really be to your benefit to just upgrade the real issue. That being the ski's. On evilbay you can grab a set of Curve ski's for $273.34 + about $40 for a mount kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Curve-Indus...T-W-4-CARBIDES-XS1001-150-01014-/331712895929 That ski package comes with 4" carbides that should get you through a good bit of the winter unless you are running a track with a large # of studs or are riding allot of roads. Then you may want a larger carbide. The sled will be a bit twitchy in the straights but will turn any place you want. By twitchy I don't mean darty. It's more like umm very precise. A little input does a lot. They also work very well on that fresh mound of snow that you find behind a groomer. You can sit right on that and ride like its a setup trail. Not trying to sell you anything, just hate to see you keep wasting $ on trying to find the right size band aid. I myself had the 6" triple points and the hard bars on the tuners and had the same issues you describe. They work great going straight and are reasonable in hard setup corners, but there are not that many times I find those conditions so I jumped ship to Curve and will never look back. (still trying to convince my 70 yr old father to put a set on his viper, but he's a bit 'thrifty' lol).

(I have nothing to do with any sellers or any ski companies. I was just posing my findings and the best price I could find on the ski's)

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. My Bergstrom triple points each had all three 8"pieces of carbide intact but they were very dull and I had no way to sharpen them. So I decided to try something completely different. I installed Woody's 6" carbides on both the inside and outside of the skis. My Yamaha dealer warned me that this was way too much carbide and that it would result in very heavy steering. I can tell you that it corners like it is on rails on the lake and on the few trails that I have ridden.

The steering does not feel heavy to me at all and I love the bite that I have when turning. The real test is yet to come when I put some serious trail miles on in different conditions. I suspect that I will still have some pushing on loose snow as that is the fault of the tuner ski rather than the carbides.

I just bought a set, you can get either 6" or 9" for the tuner ski

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6" 08-994562
9" 08-994563

Listed as
All models except below. 14-16

6" 08-994562
9" 08-994563

Listed as
All models except below. 14-16

Thanks!! hey does your sled push bad in the corners?? iam having a hard time in the turns only 300ks on it this weekend.

I have an LTE dx , I had 6" woodys inside and 4" outside last year, pulled the limiter strap one hole, loosened off the front spring 4-5 turns. It handled good on set trails but would push a bit in the loose stuff. That's why I put 6" shapers on this year. Haven't got a chance to try it yet

Pushing in loose snow is a characteristic of the tuner ski design on this chassis plain and simple. there is no carbide that will cure that. I ran dual 6 inch shapers, still pushed in loose conditions. They rail corners on packed trails and have virtually no darting as an upside. If you're trying to cure the push save the money on carbides and buy different skis. It is what it is.

Pushing in loose snow is a characteristic of the tuner ski design on this chassis plain and simple. there is no carbide that will cure that. I ran dual 6 inch shapers, still pushed in loose conditions. They rail corners on packed trails and have virtually no darting as an upside. If you're trying to cure the push save the money on carbides and buy different skis. It is what it is.

Also carbide does just about nothing in loose snow. Carbide is to dig into hard pack/ice...

You are absolutely right, the carbide is made for hard pack and ice however the "shaper bar" is made to catch and direct snow. After putting on 6000 km on tuner ski's on my Nytro and 1500 km on my viper I agree with everyone, they shine on hard pack and stink in powder, however with the proper setup both carbide and suspension they are a very competent trail ski. One of the biggest issues is putting to much carbide on the outside, if you use the inside carbide as the steering carbide and the outside to remove tracking issues they work much better in loose conditions. My experience is no more than 4" on the outside preferably with a smaller round bar. I ride 90% trail and 10% off trail.

Im bringing this back around...stagg is 100% right...carbides can help mask in some terrain certain anomalies..but in the loose it mostly becomes the skis lack of design.

Ive got experience setting up suspensions (which is the most imprtant factor on handling and turning)..

if anyone need help feel free to ask...

I installed Woody's 6" carbides on both the inside and outside of the skis. This really helped on the hard pack but it still pushed in the corners in loose snow. I then pulled up the limiter strap one hole to put more weight on the skis and this helped a lot but it is still not perfect in loose snow cornering. I am thinking that this is as good as it will get with this ski design.

Back