• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel hole(s) / Icing problem fix???

cdsgraphic

Extreme
I don't even have my phaser yet (tomorrow), but I did ride one in West Yellowstone for four days (from my first post - a mountain lite). And I did notice the icing problem. I had to kick the ice from the running boards every now and then.

The side sheilds from yami look like they should help, but I just had another idea. Be aware I have no idea if this will work so its at your own risk if you try it.

It would seem to me that having snow actually hitting the pipe and muffler is not needed for cooling but airflow is. So my idea is to have covers for the holes that are louvered. I beleive the natural direction for snow to be thrown up from the track would be up and from the back (the way the track rotates at the top). Louvers on the top of the plate facing the rear could stop the snow (at least most of it) but would still help direct air up and toward the exhaust.

Attached is a drawing of my idea. Like I said, don't know if it would really work, but if you try it, and it works, make a set for me too! ;)!

Trevor

Attachments

• Phaser tunnel cover.jpg
    Phaser tunnel cover.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 115

That would be like driving with tunnel closed. Just a couple of miles and your went hole will be glogged.

well,i put my own side pannels when i first got my gt and there's hardly any ice on footboards,just a tad towards the front,this water is coming from the front hole under gas tank,i think i will try siliconing that pcs of black rubber to the tunnel to see if it will help

not bad at all,this is after 100 miles today,i think the ice must break and fall as im riding,i did see more ice build up a couple of times but only when riding in loose snow.today was groomed trail riding and hardly any ice

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 108
lol, my entire tunnel closes on its own riding in powder after a while!

I got a $20 sheet of aluminum today at Canadian Tire! I'm covering that thing cause I'm tired of waiting for Yamaha to call me back.

Hard packed trails, no problem with ice. I went out a few days back in 3 to 4 feet of powder and about -25 to -30 and the tunnel was just jam packed. It sure drags the arse end down, all that un- wanted weight! This is a terrible thing, that hole in the tunnel!

Same as Indy2007!

Coming back of 3 days of powder at -20C and the tunnel was packed with ice. I had to use a rubber head hammer to knock it off!

On the trail no problem but a really different story in 12-24" of powder!

I will make a removable panel to close the tunnel ASAP!

Errol

Errol

Hey guys,

Don't want to insult, but maybe you are not riding hard enough? My tunnel gets packed with ice occasionally when riding powder, but after a few hard jumps it all falls out. ;)!

It sounds silly, but it has always worked for me. Just take a few small jumps and the ice falls away. I can usually hear it falling out and then it feels much lighter.

I guess a rubber mallet would do the same thing, but my way is "way more fun".
:4STroke:

that muffler issue on the sleds with the muffler between the solid tunnel and the track...the only way I can see that problem ever going away is by relocating the muffler so there isn't any melting in the tunnel going on other than the front of the bulkhead at the heat exchanger. It is a poor design for cold weather riding.

GypsyRoots said:
Yellowknife said:
that muffler issue on the sleds with the muffler between the solid tunnel and the track...the only way I can see that problem ever going away is by relocating the muffler so there isn't any melting in the tunnel going on other than the front of the bulkhead at the heat exchanger. It is a poor design for cold weather riding.

Yup poor design/testing...
I can see aguard on the muffler, so it would keep it from getting damadged, the ice is there for good though, I cannot see a reasonable fix....
It sure is a silly place to put a muffler thats for sure. I was thinking the only way to fix this problem is by routing the exhaust out the side panels and putting a couple of stacks off of a peterbilt truck up in the air. lol. Okay I'm not really serious but I wish I could use Photoshop I would sure like to make a venture with dual exhaust stacks for a laugh. Topper

What about the VK Professional? I think that one has been cold weather tested, and from what I recall, the underside of the tunnel is flat, and the exhaust is sealed between the tunnel itself and another layer between it and the track...and it vents out the sides I believe at the rear of the rack...and my buddy has one and it doesn't ice up at all under there....the heat must be confined?

you know what else has major cold weather testing I'm told - the skidoo skandic super wide track with the V-800 in it. I'm just reading up on it, spoke with a rep earlier today, if all is true, it sounds very impressive indeed.

Back