• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Open or Closed?

I agree with leaving it open with the stock muffler, last weekend I ran 6 miles wide open with no break on a lake and I can testify if it hadn't been open things would have melted. There was no ice build up left around that hole, I don't like that hole but until I put something aftermarket on that flows better the hole will stay open. Run it hard for a while and it gets insanely hot. Not bashing anyone that closed there's, just my opinion and experience.

42 miles , (now no snow) , turbo mtn lite with hole closed , all looks ok , no sign of melt at all !

i rode 100 mi. the other day and when i stopped the snow was everywhere on the back, but the exhaust was cool, going to install the excell exhaust that i got and see how hot it gets, then maybe i'll close it up

twest said:
Yep, I don't see how ,but that was his comment,and let's just face it,Yamaha left it open for some reason, Weight,heat, Hp.

Yamaha left it open so they could charge $140.00 a pop
for side trim panels.

twest said:
One member at Snowest.com ,close it, his comment "it melted everything " I don't see how but that was his comment,so if condition are right you can melt the flares or worst, I am installing the Factory Aluminum flares.

A young fellow on my street who drops by my shop from time to time had the "numberplate" style flares melt on his Phazer. How you say?

(1) When riding in powder or soft snow, ice builds up all around the tunnel and exhaust
(2) The ice continues to build up until it starts to touch the numberplates
(3) Numberplates then start to bend in towards the muffler as ice builds
(4) Numberplates eventually touch muffler and melt along lower edge

I have only seen his sled do this and he is an aggressive rider no doubt, but that sight alone would be enough to convince me to close mine off, if I had a Phazer.

I installed Yamahas side covers today, the tunnel protector dealies.

The are alot bigger then I thought, they rivet both to the bottom and to the seat frame. They look better then in the pics once you get them install for yourself.

I didnt want to close off the tunnel just incase a warranty issue.

When you have the seat off you can see the hole in the tunnel is not square, it actually follows the exhaust pipe toward the engine, like the hole is indeed there to cool the exhaust pipe and the muffler. I wouldn't close it off.

Hopefully the side panels work,

-Steve

The side panels work on the water running on top of the tunnel and down on the running boards but not on ice buildup inside tunnel..

BV1 said:
I installed Yamahas side covers today, the tunnel protector dealies.

The are alot bigger then I thought, they rivet both to the bottom and to the seat frame. They look better then in the pics once you get them install for yourself.

I didnt want to close off the tunnel just incase a warranty issue.

When you have the seat off you can see the hole in the tunnel is not square, it actually follows the exhaust pipe toward the engine, like the hole is indeed there to cool the exhaust pipe and the muffler. I wouldn't close it off.

Hopefully the side panels work,

-Steve

Can we see some pictures??

Attachments

• Phazer 002.jpg
    Phazer 002.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 119
I only installed the rear set of these on My MTN LITE. I don't really know what the function is of the front one's other than to cosmeticly make it look the same all the way down the tunnel......

As far as I can see the smart thing to do is bite the bullett for a hundred and twenty bucks and install the Yamaha guards. My advise is keep an eye on that area of the sled until you feel comfortable with it. My 03 RX-1 used to make a snow dam on the rear heat exchanger and overheat the machine. The 07 phazer is a first year model and whether we like it or not there is still a little bit of the guiney pig thing going on here. You can't avoid it with a first year model. thank heaven we have a site like this to throw our ideas out in the open. Good Luck.

I'm pritty sure my dad's 07 Vector has the exhaust exposed to the snow from the track. I know it is not open on the sides like the Phazer but I think there migth be a reaon if Yamaha has holes in there tunnels to cool the exhaust on more than one model.

Has anyone tried experimenting with some sort of screen design? I can't think of any particular material at the moment, but a screen or mesh that is gapped close enough to deflect the snow, yet still allow for heat transfer?

What I'm thinking is something along the lines of a screen door. If you threw a snowball some snow would pass through the door, but most would bounce off.

marq said:
Has anyone tried experimenting with some sort of screen design? I can't think of any particular material at the moment, but a screen or mesh that is gapped close enough to deflect the snow, yet still allow for heat transfer?

What I'm thinking is something along the lines of a screen door. If you threw a snowball some snow would pass through the door, but most would bounce off.

Will not work.. It have been tryed out but after a trip in powder the hole was completely closed with ice and snow and no snow slipped through to cool exhaust. Just the same as to close the hole with a solid aluminum plate.

One guy here closed the hole on his mntlite and he has 1000km on it since then with no heat issues at all. Only thing is when he is driving in deep powder some snow hits the pipe (turbulence), melt and spread over tunnel and running boards but he says it no way near the problems that was before he closed the hole.

Will close my hole next week to find out how this mod works for myselves.

Back