• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo? What does it actually help with? Do I need one?

My opinion after running mine here in the mountains....... ONCE YOU GO BOOST YOU NEVER GO BACK!

But, I would not own one at sea level. I do not think they work nearly as well in that segment of the market. Unless it is a low boost kit. AND THEN my opinion is MCXPRESS ALL THE WAY!

My dealer said he would sell me a 180 turbo for 3k, so that is what go my gears turning. I am not sure what brand, but know it is from yamaha. I know I could probably build my own for around 2k, but a turn key setup sounds nice.

I may wait because the snow is gone and I am starting a new build.

Beeze:

I hear ya. After driving my buddies MCX 270 Apex, that went from 0-125mph in a blurrrrrrr, I though this is stupid fast. Cross me off the turbo list. Next, my dealer had a MPI 180 installed on a 1.75 Nytro. Much more drivable and great power. Got be thinking again....but....

I am still in the no catagory, mostly because of who I drive with. With K&N, Header, PC5, and alot of weight loss, it works well and we don't have the conditions to take advantage of the turbo 90% of the time.

.....and then there is the other 10% when you just want to clean everyone else off the hill.....

I wish you well buddy....

OTM

For FXNytro

MCXpress 180 Kit: $4695

MCXpress 240 Kit: $6395

MCXpress 270 Kit: $6895

PLUS Clutching, Gauges, and Install

180 kit uses a smaller turbo itself. 240 kit has a head shim. I believe the 240 kit has a different plenum then the 180 kit and uses additional fuel delivery.

The 270 kit is essentially the same as the 240 kit, with the addition of electronic fuel pump delivery for the additional fuel injection system that is in the plenum. Appearently you can do a small upgrade to the 270 from the 240, but why bother....... already spending close to $9000 with install, what is $500????

I am sure I have missed something in this answer, but it is the big differences.

The 240 kit comes with a 16t turbo which is the same as the 180. You can upgrade to the 19t though on the 240 and 270

HYFLYR, your right, I remember that was one of the reasons I just went for the 270 kit right away, since I would have the 19T instead.

In my install manual it says that the 240 kit can be "upgraded" by installing:

New Fuel Pump
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Really for $500...... it would be silly to not go 270 hp..... I MEAN IT IS ONLY MONEY!!!

I ran a buddys MCX290 Nytro today, and i have to say I would take the 190 setup any day.

Its so much more rideable and usable power.

He had never ridden a low boost Nytro before, and he had the exact same opinion after a quick ride on my sled.

:sled1:

It all depends on how you have it set up suspension wise, and what your snow conditions are.........

I rode a 180 kit that was unridable due to the weight transfer and set up. I also rode a 350 kit right after it that was amazing!

It also depends on your snow conditions. In 3 feet of powder, you can really use the 270 hp!

Once again use and set up.

I totally agree. Its all about use. I can see those extra hp's come in handy in steep hills and bottomless pow.

For boondocking and just playing around i would go for a low boost setup.

The 180 kits are great and have a lot to offer as far as rideability, simplicity and ease of use. I will say they are a great entry level system but I just can't go back to it. I had one for a season and it was fun but I think for our snow and riding areas the big HP kits are just so much more fun! Plus, I love more power in the trees, they are so forgiving when you something dumb, they get you out of silly decisions, haha. I will say any boost is better than none, but I'm spending that much money, I'm going to do it right the first time.

Dimebag said:
loudelectronics said:
Beeze I am in the same boat.

Everyone tells me I need one. I know I could use one in teh mountains as more track speed to do up hill turns would be nice. However in teh prairies I do not need any moer power. My hindle setup rocks. Sled hooks up and is gone to 90 mph no problem.

My other issue is which turbo to get? Push and MPI have good pricing. MCX is tried and true but costly. Push requires weight changes and one boost setting so you have 200 hp at sea level and lose power as you go up the mountain and have to clutch accordingly. MPI has a manual boost T that you can increase the boost to maintain rpm and stable HP numbers. MCX automatically adjust boosts so you have 190 at sea level and 190 at top of mountain and no clutching changes needed. However I hear autoboost controllers can freeze easily and cause melt downs.

So I am so confused what to do so I do nothing. More concerned with suspension than I am with anyting else at this time. Got the front dialed with skinz and elkas, now looking at timbersled with elkas in the rear.

In theory MCX automatically adjusts boost as you go up in elevation.
In reality - not so much.

Get a low boost kit, boost gauge, afr gauge and a manual boost controller.
;)!
:yam:

If you think the nose dips down.get simmons flexi gen2.and than MCX 180 :-o

Back