• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Two-Up Touring

JohnWI

Pro
I was thinking about jumping into the sport in the next months or perhaps year. My GF and I are about 300 pounds when bundled up.

I was wondering if anyone has opinions of the Venture vs the other makes. While I'd like to believe that Yami has the edge on reliability, I was hoping you guys might offer opinions on the other brands as I might not be able to afford a new sled. Please rank your opinion of best, second best, etc.

Or perhaps which motors or platfoms to avoid at all costs.

I have to admit that the concept of SkiDoo's 1+1 seat is a smart move. You get to buy a sled that's sportier with the option of taking sweetie with you when she's around. The 600SDI motor would be my likely choice as it's crisp and pretty economical on gas.

I'm really shocked that there's not that many 2-ups available. Does it really suck to be on the big toys?

JOHN I HAVE A SKIDOO GTX 600HOSDI I LOVE IT GREAT GAS MILEAGE
ABOUT THE SAME AS MY RAGE BUT I STILL USE OIL WITH THE DOO IT HANDLES GREAT I'AM 250 POUNDS AND MY SON IS 140 WE HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL IT WAS A TOUGH CHOICE AS WHAT SLED TO KEEP
IF THE FAMILY WANTED TO RIDE I WOULD HAVE BOTH.HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE DOO EXCEPT SLIDERS BUT HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE RAGE.I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD BE UNHAPPY WITH A DOO BUT MY FIRST CHOICE WOULD BE A YAMAHA THEN THE DOO.FROM WHAT I HERE THE SDI MOTORS HAVE A LONGER LIFE SPAN THAN A REG 2 STROKE BUT NOT AS LONG AS 4 STROKE.YOU MAY BE HARD PRESSED TO FIND EITHER ONE FOR UNDER $5500 FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN GOOD LUCK ANY WHEN YOU DO GET A SLED YOU WILL BE KICKING YOURSELF FOR NOT DOING IT SOONER

i've rode an older 600 skidoo 2up(early 90), an actic cat 660 touring, and the wifes venture rs. the ski doo was of course the worst, poor power for 2 up riding and i wasn't impressed with the ride, but this was also an older machine and i'm sure the newer are much better. as far as the cat goes it was a nice riding sled, handled the rough stuff well, but again seemed to have a big lack of power. perhaps a t660(turbo) would be the better choice, but i haven't ridden one. the venture rs handles the rough stuff very well, and actually has plenty of power. last year i had the whole family on it(wife, son and myself about 400+lbs together) and still had no problem getting 80+ mph out of it and never bottomed out through the wooped out trails. i don't think you'd be unhappy with about any touring machine in todays market as long as you do get the bigger motor package.

I always had two-ups, The 2005 GSX with two-up add on seat is the worst. There is no heat on handles, no real support on the back side of seat, the hand holds are plastic and can easly move out ward on you.
Get a real deal if your touring!
My wife no longer rides so I got the Vector GT, But if I had the cash I would jump on a Venture if I where you
PS - All my other machines were Polaris Classic Tourings, Owned (3) 500's and one 700 all nice machines.
Consider used at first if you are really new to the sport, Don't get anything older than 1998 as the rear suspensions prior to that are less desirable.
Just my thoughts
Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sport as much as the rest of us.

2 up

John I have ridden a 2002 skidoo touring and Now i own a 05 RS venture and I love it now. A few issues in the beginning mainly with dealer but for the 05 I have been pretty happy. I am a big rider between my wife and I we are in the 500lb range and the sled handles with ease except turing corners (easily fixable) I have raced my buddy with a skidoo 670 and have beaten him on my touring sled so it can move. I my self have had no issues with slide wear. I do take it easy with my wife on back but when i ride solo i ride pretty aggresive. overall happy with the 05

Did not like the ski-doo i used to drive. Felt very sluggish with two people on it and not happy with the suspension.

As far as the ski-doo seat my buddy as an 05 gsx sport with the +1 seat and his girlfriend hates it she maybe weights 100lbs she wont ride on his but she does like my sled and will ride with him on my sled!! :yam:

I'd go with any 2002-2006 Polaris Classic/Deluxe Touring. 600 or 700 cc. 600cc will likely give you about the same mileage as the 700.

I had a 2003 700 Touring and really liked it. It was a nice crusing machine.

If the wife and I were more of trail cruisers than off trail solo riders;I think the Yamaha RS Venture or the Polaris FST Cruiser could be my choice.

Both are 4strokes with plenty of power (120 on the RS and 140 on the FST). The Polaris Rider Select steering is nice with it's adjustable bar position for aggressive solo riding or laid back two-up cruising. Yamaha is of course known for it's fit and finish along with reliability. It would be a tough choice between those two IMHO.

Jim

Back