• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmer Clutch kit

To be fair to Ulmer, he is a full time farmer that tunes on the side. I have bought lots from him and have always been able to talk with him. Sometimes it takes time. I have his clutch kit and like it on my turbo. I would likely go with TP if I were to change.

As far as I know, Ulmer uses SuperTips weights. I have not had great luck with them in my 15 Viper LTX MPI turbo. They worked well for me but don't last. They are getting replaced with TP Heavy Hitter weights for next season. These are the 50YS weights that have about 3100 miles on them. What you are seeing in the pics are actually slightly raised ridges on the ramps of the weights and at least one of them is starting to mushroom over the edge a little. I have TP 14.8mm primary rollers and those are all good. I am guessing they are not hardened enough (or at all). I am not trying to steer you away from Ulmer. I am just giving you my experience with the SuperTips weights. Those weights were in my sled when I bought it because I bought it from the owner of STM (who makes the SuperTips weights).

Worn Supertips 50YS.jpg
0303202119.jpg

Looking at those pics I'd say you probably should have at least a 60g base. Not sure that would change anything durability wise, but it might.

Looking at those pics I'd say you probably should have at least a 60g base. Not sure that would change anything durability wise, but it might.

Oh... definitely, but these were in the sled when I bought it and after something like this happens, I don't want another set of that brand.

Oh... definitely, but these were in the sled when I bought it and after something like this happens, I don't want another set of that brand.

Unless I missed something your results are unique and could be a number of factors from wrong base weight to potential early prototype units. Do what you like, but you've already learned a system that works.

Unless I missed something your results are unique and could be a number of factors from wrong base weight to potential early prototype units. Do what you like, but you've already learned a system that works.

I understand that anything is possible. I am just informing others what happened to mine.

The 60Y base weights are much wider, and typically don’t groove as quickly as either of the 50 series weights do. The STM weights have always had a shorter lifespan than other aftermarket weights in the Yammy 4 stroke triples, except the Supertorquer stuff.....it seems to wear out stupid fast.

As far as I know, Ulmer uses SuperTips weights. I have not had great luck with them in my 15 Viper LTX MPI turbo. They worked well for me but don't last. They are getting replaced with TP Heavy Hitter weights for next season. These are the 50YS weights that have about 3100 miles on them. What you are seeing in the pics are actually slightly raised ridges on the ramps of the weights and at least one of them is starting to mushroom over the edge a little. I have TP 14.8mm primary rollers and those are all good. I am guessing they are not hardened enough (or at all). I am not trying to steer you away from Ulmer. I am just giving you my experience with the SuperTips weights. Those weights were in my sled when I bought it because I bought it from the owner of STM (who makes the SuperTips weights).

View attachment 154042 View attachment 154043

I will bet money those weights didn’t get heat treated. He probably grabbed a set that just came off the CNC and threw them on. Never seen them this bad, I bet you could get a set free just ask.

I will bet money those weights didn’t get heat treated. He probably grabbed a set that just came off the CNC and threw them on. Never seen them this bad, I bet you could get a set free just ask.

That may be... but I already have a set of TP Heavy Hitter weights now and once I buy their primary spring, my whole clutching setup will be ALL Thunder Products.

Back