• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Unhappy Viking owner

alaskajohn

Just bought a new Viking a couple weeks ago and found it to be a complete pig on trails. I rode it from Fairbanks to Tanana (230 miles) following the Irondog trail. Took me 14 hours to do what the racers do in 4 hours.

My list of gripes.

1. Rough ride.

2. Tippy.
I tipped it on it's side going over a berm that little old ladies go over everyday. The next day, on the way down river to Tanana, I was on a slight(very, very slight) slope, the uphill ski went up on a six inch slab of ice and the pig went on it's side. It actually goes more to the upside down side of things. What a bitch to get upright by yourself. I had to cut a six foot pole, tie a rope on it, wedge the pole between the tub and ski and pull like hell on the rope. Thinking of make some kind of folding lever to carry on the machine.

3. No floatation in deep powder.
This was my biggest problem on the river. The front end weight is ridiculous. As long as I was on the packed trail(which wasn't visible most of the way)things were fine, but if I dropped a ski off the edge of the trail, the pig would dive off and roll on it's side. I'm 230 pounds and no matter what I did with my lard #*$&@, I couldn't stop it from going on it's side. The only thing I could do was punch it, steer off the trail, get it planing(which requires some serious power-which is one thing it has) and then come back on the trail. This requires approaching at just the right angle(still moving fairly briskly trying to keep the thing from sinking)-too sharp and you shoot right across, too shallow and you are up on your side again. This works only if there is room to do it. Yesterday I went to Manley with a buddy who was riding a worn out 440 Scandic with a 15" track, pulling a sled. I followed right in his tracks and went off the trail eight times in 65 miles. He came back, pulling the sled loaded with a couple hundred pounds and carrying a passenger and he still didn't have any trouble.

4. Windscreen icing.
Temps below zero and that nice windscreen that Yamaha raves about becomes about as functional as a piece of plywood.

I own a Venture TF which is kind of a cross between the venture touring and the vk pro ( has wide skis and 152 inch track) and it to is very tippy on crossingsnow banks at the wrong angle. had mine on its side a few times and am on my third mirror replacement. Yami can sure make a sweet engine but their skidframes suck. After a few suspension adjustments my TF is pretty good but i'm still very careful. I'm sure the fellas with the VK's will be able to help you. :o|

I hear ya. I bought my '08 VK last winter and it does take some getting used to. I added the 11" Yamaha ski skins which kept the ski from diving when getting off the trail. For my purposes (grooming, heavy hauling) I like it. The power is fantastic and the fuel milage on groomed trails is similar to other 4-strokes. I frequently make 200 mile loops per day on groomed trails and the folks that I ride with think that the VK is a real dual-purpose machine. It can cruise at 70 all day long and under ideal conditions it has indicated 93mph. Probably around 85mph actual according to the gps.

I also tipped over and busted a mirror and plastic deflector. It took everything two of us had to get it back on its skis. Man, what a top-heavy pig. But I love it. I checked the odometer and it just turned 3800 miles. No issues. We haul 1000 lbs. of wood and water over rough trails and it will lift the skis when power is needed. Incredible pulling capacity.

Eric,

It did well on fuel when I went to Manley. The Skandic used 7 1/2 gallons going up and I used 7 gallons for the whole round trip(135 miles). Trail is rough, lots of twists and turns, ups and downs. I can see this machine getting 20 plus MPG on good trail. I didn't buy it to do any trail blazing out in the bush, but I need it to at least be able to handle the river trail between villages. There are no roads here. Only way in is by plane, boat or snowmachine. I'm considering going with the 11" skins or the Gen II skis(not sure if I got the name right). I definitly need the ski to have an upturned rear so it will reverse. Reversing is a very important feature getting this whale unstuck. Any Ideas?

The Yamaha skins are cheaper and I am pleased with mine. They work in reverse very well. The Simmons cost over $400 and I am sure they would handle extremely well. Performance in reverse should be OK but I think the skins will be better because the tip-up is greater. I think the skins have the edge on flotation as well...wider & longer. However, skins do fail over time if the trails have alot of stumps, rocks and stuff. If I ever need to replace even one, I will wish I had gone with Simmons. So far, so good. 2000 miles on mine so far this year without issue but the trails are nice over here. I only whack the outside edge occasionally and they act as a cushion of sorts. The plastic is only about 1/8" thick. Simmons are over 1/4" thick and I have never heard of anyone breaking one.

Attachments

• IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,362
I have the Simmons Gen II Flexi-Skis. They provide probably the same amount of floatation as the Yamaha wide skins. Their two additional benefits are very good steering control with the dual runners, and very durable with the thicker plastic. But with skis and the mount they will run you $435 US.

I bought them because I'm a groomer and I need both the floatation because I'm the first one out after all the big storms, and I need the improved steering because I'm pulling heavy drags that want to steer the sled on their own.

Other fixes to the tips that have been mentioned on this site include:

1) spreading out the ski spacers which Joiner and Wayne have done
2) stiffening up the front shocks which many people have done
3) installing a sway bar from another vendor which Tom Lee has done

Good luck.

We are building a cabin in the BC northern back country. 30 miles up the lake from Fort Saint James. I have never owned a snowmobile before, but needed a dependable work horse. I bought a new 2006 VK pro and rely on it heavily. I have hauled many a load the 30 miles up the lake from The Fort. Never have had an overheating problem. Today was the biggest test yet . I needed to haul a 16 "wide at the base by 30 foot long log about half a mile down the lake, up a hill, around numerous corners to use as skids under my cabin. I was nervous. I put the front end of the log on my metal home made sled, hooked the sled to the VK . this is all on 3 feet of snow, said a prayer, and pressed the throttle. The track was on a peice of trail that I layed down yesterday so I had a solid start. I'm not sure how many snowmobiles can do this but my VK did. It was 30 below 0 last night and my wife and I are stayin in an old cabin on the lake while we build our cabin. After freezing last night we decided to get a motel in the Fort tonight. The VK took us he 30 miles down the lake doing 70 km per hour. This is over the deep snow all the way to town. I can't imagin a more dependable machine than my VK . Anything but a pig.

VK PIG

You hit it on the nail! This machine is exelent for hauling but a pig else wise. It is time for yamaha to redesign this machine to stay in the game. I own an 06 VK I put over 9000kms on it in the last two seasons. The first season the suspension was out more than it was in. So far so good this season and hoping to finish without breakage. I could right a book on things they could have made better. Wake up engineers!!!

Artic Cat has the best by far for a utility sled that can pull and you can have a enjoyable trail ride on. I will probably keep my vk for pulling only and get a Cat for riding!

I just attended a sneak peek of all the 2010 sleds. Yamaha, Polaris and Skidoo did not have one utility sled on display. Artic Cat had their big 4-stroke Bearcat and if you can look beyond the color, it was a nice machine. Massive bumper and rack. Low center of gravity so handling should be sweet. Wide skis and wide stance. Very comfortable seat. It too is 120 HP so performance should be similar to the VK. Rear skid is plush...should be better in the bumps. But my VK looks better and I like it so I am not jumping ship next year.

I was hoping to see a black VK with some effort made at improving the suspension. I also wanted to see this new Skidoo Expedition wide track with a 600SDI or the 1200 4-stroke engine.

I heard alot of folks asking about utility sleds. I guess the manufacturers don't think people buy them so they did not bring any. Big mistake. We ice fish and gather wood...gotta have a working machine in the fleet! Heck, if someone is interested in a 2-up sled, why not get one that can do some work too?

I am now on my second vk pro and although there are some issues and I have made some adjustments this sled is comparable with any of the widtracks out there I travel in the back contry more than I do on groomed trails and have no problems with steering . My 08 has nearly 8000 km on it and mostly of trail. when i am on groomed trails it steers like it is on rails. In the first part of the season when the snow is deep and light I use my 11 in skins and this makes for good flotation. When the snow starts to toughen up I take them off. I have traveled with pretty much every brand of widetrack out there and I have no problem keeping up or taking my turn in the lead. Yamaha however needs to put more emphasis on quality as I have had more problems with this sled then I should have had with so little mileage. I have had 4 polaris widetracks with a lot more mileage on each one and more problems with the pro then all the polariss' put together. Polaris has a new widetrack next year with a 600 clean fire. I will see how that works out when I buy a new sled in 2011

VK Handling

Well, you must have the best VK Pro on the snow!

I have an 06 with over 9000km's with the 08 suspension in it and it handles like crap. We get every type of snow conditions possible here, especially with fresh powder riding over someone elses track you can barely hang on to it.I have had many other people test driving this machine and they all find it as I do as well as every other owner that I have talked to. I am certain it is the skis with such a deep keel to be the problem. For hard pack, I have in stalled an anti darting ski rod and this has corrected it totally. Most people find this machine tippy also!

Then there is the issue of sliders! This machine got to be the worst on the snow. With the exhaust all open in the tunnel and tail pipes directed at the track you don't have a chance. Scrapers are a must in above 0 celcius conditions which are common this time of year and occasionally throughout the season in my area.

There are a lot of utility machines in my area and the new 09 Artic Cat rules the snow for comfort and handling.

The new Polaris utility doesn't have a flip track, this is major problem for backing up.

The Ski Doo expidition TUV looks like a great machine, but would be better with a 4 stroke (better longevity than the 600 SDI).

Personally, for me I will probably end up with 10,000kms this season and won't chance longevity of the main shaft, jack shaft or suspenion bearing past this season. I have already replaced some bearings and lost a rear wheel at 6000kms. I will keep this machine for work and work only as any other machine is more enjoyable for touring. I am waiting patiently for a new chassis from Yamaha and if this one hangs on as long as the VK540 then I will enjoy a twin spar Bear Cat.

sounds to me like you should buy the cat. I had 9000 km on my 06 and have just about 8000 on my08 and like I said in my post i have had some issues with the vk but with regard to the tippyness it is not a lot different than the rest of the four stroke widtracks. You have to set it up for your own personal need. I have owned widetracks since 1990 (all with hi/lo except the 06 pro) and have averaged 4-5000 km per season and IWOULD NOT have another wide track without the hi-lo gearing. I have already had to replace the bearing in the main drive-shaft and the gaskets in the exhaust and have had to get work done on the clutch. With regard to the amount of snow I travel in ,at my camp it is 9 ft from the eve to the ground in the summer and now I can drive my sled on the roof if I wanted to.

Stick with your VK Pro, it's not a racer or a mountain sled but it will get you anywhere you want to go. You must add the 11" skins to keep the nose up in deep powder. Add a 3" riser if you are in powder all the time. The stock handlebar is for trail riding and is too low for powder. The tippiness you feel is often when the edge of the wide track jumps over an obstacle - you'll get used to that and will swing outboard to compensate or choose a better line. The VK Pro gets better and better the more you use it.

well I do agree it it very heavy ( are there any four strokes that aren't) I have put my 07 in some tight spots and deep snow 4 feet of powder go until it starts to slow down or spin and back up go again. ski-doo has the best widtracks in my opinion they have done it for years cat has a nice lite work horse that rides nice . Yamaha best motor and tourqe that is un real and it goes through snow unreal and to a point of extreme for such a heavy sled ( although alder bushes seem to scew me up). My wife weighs 100 pounds and loves it on the trail. that is my thoughts. everyone likes what they like and that is great it makes the world go around and better products for us. :4STroke:

Artic Cat and Ski-Doo has the best utility chassis by a long shot!

I would like another Yamaha but the engineers will have to wake up first and build a comfortable chassis first. I won't be making that mistake buying the second VK PRO! I will keep my 06 for a workhorse!

Back