• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Updated belt secondary shim?

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
I went to replace the belt on my MP and when I put it on, it sat really low, like 1/8" below. The belt I got was the updated 8GK-17641-10-00. I was still running the original 8GS belts. Looking at the update for the reverse issue, it says to add a shim in the secondary. Won't that put it even lower in the sheaves? I read Cannondale's thread on the secondary and he changed his shim to a thinner one to bring it back up. Mine used to ride with a new 8GS right at the top of the sheave. In fact, the serrated part would stick out.

Did Yamaha compromise gearing for the sake of reverse engagement with this belt and shim setup?

I experimented a bit and I removed one of the shims and it was perfect. Now should I just remove both and have it sit a bit higher so that as the belt wears, it will go down to where it should be.

It's not back together as I am waiting for new cam sliders and snap ring.

I have the 8GK-17641-10-00 belt with two shims in the secondary and this is how my belt sits on my MP.

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 381
That's how mine sits but with one less shim but you have an '08. Mine's an '07 that used the original 8GS belt. When I tried the 8GK with the two shims, it was too low. Now with just one shim, it's perfect but I still have the occasional issue with shifting into reverse.

I have renovated my sled since the bearing behind the secondary clutch failed with a destroyed shaft and gearbox as a result. I have not been able to test my sled that much since there is to little snow so I don't know how the reverse shifting works.

Mooseman said:
That's how mine sits but with one less shim but you have an '08. Mine's an '07 that used the original 8GS belt. When I tried the 8GK with the two shims, it was too low. Now with just one shim, it's perfect but I still have the occasional issue with shifting into reverse.
There doesn't seem to be any perfect fix for the reverse issues - just some improvement is the best you can hope for I think.

Back